PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo necklace

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 09:59 AM
On my last morning in the Kruger National Park a little while ago, we came across a huge herd of buffalo walking next to the road. This guy had obviously walked through a bush which had then snagged around his neck. The oxpecker just adds a little more. I left all the interferring grasses and flies to be. Taken from my car.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/2000
F/7.1
ISO 500

Manual exposure.

Rachel Hollander
05-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Stuart - too funny and he looks very non-plussed by it all. The oxpecker definitely adds to it. Good techs and detail but I do wonder if you can extract a bit more from the shaded areas, particularly the bottom of the chin. Overall, an interesting and unusual photo of a buff, something difficult to get. Congrats!

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Hi Stuart
funny looking guy you present here.Agree with Rachel in all terms and would like too see a little more room on the bottom ,if you have it in the original.

Cheers Andreas

Grant Atkinson
05-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi Stuart, any really up-close image usually shows a perspective that we are not always so familiar with, and this is one of those pics. I like the curved shape of the horns, and all the detail that comes from your closed-down aperture. Agree with others on maybe a touch more detail from the black area under the nose.
Nice perspective
cheers
Grant

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks a stack for the feedback guys and Rachel. I feel the area under the chin is hidden too much away from the natural light. Here is the repost having used detail extractor at 17% in colour efex 4, and it has brought out the OOF grass the Buff was walking through. I also used it sparingly on the Buff's left ear. Not sure if its an improvement due the area concerned. :w3

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Hi Stuart
it worked though,but i would try a bit more.

Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Stu, this is becoming a nice sight seeing you venture over to this side of the fence. :bg3:

I think this is a refreshing departure and certainly has a humours POV. If you have it, I might suggest moving the whole crop down, so you have less above and more below. Now I'm viewing on the MacBook pro, not ideal, but the area below the mouth and to the right in the RP looks patchy, as if there was some vegetation in front, but wonder if it's where you have lightened it? The flies add a nice touch.

TFS
Steve :wave:

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately, I dont have more room below. Yes, the areas you mention were lightened to try and bring out more detail, but infact have revealed OOF grasses in the FG. ( maybe I should leave the OP as is ???? ) I have plenty other images from this sighting and will see what else I can come up with. :w3 Cheers.

Steve Kaluski
05-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi Stu, OK, based on the 'calibration strip' things are spot on here, so if it was me, I think I would run with the OP as it looks like quite strong light even for 9.33am, so the shadows will be deep, just my take.

BTW, will take a trip to your side of the fence soon, but you will know why when it's posted. :w3

Morkel Erasmus
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Nice portrait here Stu...they can be so quirky at times and so mundane at times...this one sure snagged that bush good!
I prefer the OP for the reasons Steve mentioned.
Your usual high IQ, and the oxpecker is a really nice touch. :cheers:

Harshad Barve
05-20-2012, 11:12 PM
excellent image and RP takes this over the top
TFS

Ken Watkins
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Stuart,

Great behaviour captured here, the expressions of Bufallo can be very funny and this is no exception.

Oxpecker is great but perch is rather large:w3

Dumay de Boulle
05-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Very cool to see the Variable bushwillow necklace and the Oxpecker adds interest. I also would like to have seen more space below but otherwise an interesting image. Ncely done Stu!