PDA

View Full Version : Short-eared Owl

BarbaraScoles
05-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi All,
Here goes. This is my first post on BPN.
I took this photo out at Malheur National Wildlife Refuge about a week and a half ago. This bird was perched on a fence post at what they call The Narrows.
It's wonderful that there is so little traffic out there that you can actually stop in the middle of the highway and turn off your car and take photos out of the window.
I only got one shot of him sitting before he flew off...so he was already getting ready to take off..I think that's why his feet and lower feathers aren't quite in focus.
I use a Nikon D700 with an 80-400mm lens. This photo is about a 50% crop.
F9
ISO400
400mm
1/2500
Taken on a sunny morning around 9:30.
Let me know if you need more info.
I appreciate any and all input.
Thank you, Barbara

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Hi Barbara, a big welcome to BPN, and Im sure you will enjoy your journey and meet plenty new people from across the globe. Good eye contact, and the detail has held up considering the large crop. The barbed wire fence was obviously out of your control, but cropping up just above it wont harm the image, as there will still be enough space below the tail. I like the touch of blue in the BG, and feel a bit of NR on the overall BG is needed too. Looking forward to more.

dankearl
05-20-2012, 04:57 PM
The bird is beautiful, although perch not ideal, it is what it is and a nice job getting the Owl in the open.
I would run a bit more NR on the BG, It is very attractive but i think a little smoother and softer would look nice.

BarbaraScoles
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Thank you Stuart and Dan for your input. This is just what I am looking for. I really appreciate your suggestions.
Regards, Barbara

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Beautiful subject, and I love the habitat in the background. The pose looks alright, but the perch is unfortunate (but who wouldn't have taken the photos of this awesome fella regardless!). I agree with some NR to the background. I find your image a little too "blue", especially for what looks like sweet light. In the repost I added reds and yellows (opposite of cyan and blue) judiciously to the image in "Color Balance"...hope you like it.

Oh, and a big welcome to BPN!!

BarbaraScoles
05-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Thank you Daniel. I see what you mean about the blue cast. I really appreciate what you've done to improve this photo. And thank you for your welcoming message!