PDA

View Full Version : Damselfly

Jonathan Ashton
05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Tripod Mongoose head (great for macro) cale release mirror lock up.
Camera Model Canon EOS 50D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/15
Av( Aperture Value ) 11.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 100
Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
FE lock OFF
White Balance Mode Auto
AF Mode One-Shot AF
Color Space Adobe RGB

This damselfly had just emerged from the exuvia, I was about 1 min too late to get the emergence. This is the first of what I hope will be many to emerge from my garden pond which was created last year. I have just been back to see if any colours have developed, it is becoming a little darker but still no obvious colouration yet. I suspect it will turn out to be a common blue.

I decided not to go in too close as I wanted to convey something of the habitat. All C & C welcome.

Allen Sparks
05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Jonathan, wonderful image! I like the included habitat as you say and the placement of the subject with the reeds moving vertical in the frame. Interesting to see one so pale as it just emerged. Good work!

Steve Maxson
05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi Jonathan. I think this is one of your best macro shots! I love the soft light, the background, and the diagonals of the two outside leaves. Good sharpness throughout. I would suggest removing the small bit of leaf intruding into the LLC. There are also a few faint sensor dust spots visible in the background that would be easy to clean up. This is very well seen and executed! :cheers:

Ken Childs
05-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi Jon, I'm glad you made the decision to step back and include more of what was surrounding this damsel. Teneral damselflies aren't much to look at but with the additional diagonal leaves and the great light and BG, the whole package looks wonderful! Very well done! :cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
05-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks everyone, glad you liked it, I was pleased with this one.