PDA

View Full Version : Violent House Sparrow Behavior...any ideas?

Jack Breakfast
05-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Greetings, folks...the house sparrow is one of my favorites. Lucky me; they are common as can be. The other day I observed these two (seemingly) fighting violently and viciously, kicking, clawing, screaming. Finally they both collapsed onto their backs and I watched their chests heave. Approximately ten seconds later they flew away with confidence and verve, seemingly no worse off? Has anyone observed such behavior? I'd certainly appreciate any insight you may have. This picture, a snapshot really, was taken with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 252 mm, iso800, 1/2000, f5.6...cropped from the top and bottom...can't wait to hear from any of you birdwizards...

Jack Breakfast
05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
p.s. I'll add: I was sitting on the grass at a local park, rather close to a manmade sparrowbox...if you sit there for a while these birds and others will get right in front of you. I've watched them many times and have been fascinated by their "dirtbath" technique but this behavior was new to my eyes...

Jack Breakfast
05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
p.s. I fouled up the exposure here, an oversight, and had to bring the exposure down by a half-stop in postprocessing

Humberto Ramos
05-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I do like the interaction, didn't know they where so violent.

Doug West
05-19-2012, 03:12 PM
I feel sorry for the one on the right. Looks like he got a round house kick to the head. I bet
that'll leave a mark :)

Doug

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2012, 09:30 AM
The knock out punch!! Love the action and the expression on the hit bird (I'd likely tone his belly down)! I've seen this species get into nasty fights before (sometimes with more than two individuals going at it, and never in photographic opportunities), and they cause quite a raucous. Not sure if it is territorial, for food, or for "ranking"...but in any case it is always entertaining to watch...so is their "dirt baths". Thanks for sharing!

Jonathan Ashton
05-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Hi Jack this is a common site in my back garden usually I hasten to add when I do not have a camera to hand. There is always a lot of squabbling going on during the breeding season, very often I see several sparrows knocking the proverbial out of one lone sparrow.
Nice action shot, I bet someone had a black eye after that!

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks folks, all of this is very good to hear. What amazed me most was that both contenders seemed no worse for wear after the long battle...ah, birds...

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2012, 11:13 AM
By the way, this reminds me of my brother and I when we were younger...best of friends but the odd scrap were something else!! And then back to being best friends again:S3:

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Nice one Daniel...me, I had sisters and we only tortured each other psychologically...

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-20-2012, 06:16 PM
LOL great timing . Maybe typical terratorial behavior?

Jack Breakfast
05-20-2012, 07:13 PM
That's what I think...as a somewhat germane sidenote: many pigeons live in and around my windowsills and ledges. Moments ago, I saw two of them fighting like crazy while another pigeon looked on. Two males fighting over the female, I think. Truly amazing...feathers flying around and a horrible din! A joy to watch! No pictures...it's getting dark out...