PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey at rest

Dan Brown
04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
This shot was made few years back on K64 film (remember that stuff?) with a Nikon Fe2, 400mm f3.5 lens on a tripod, wide open, 1/125sec. Scanned with an HP Photosmart 2020. Location: American River Parkway, Sacramento, CA.

Dan Brown

John Chardine
04-16-2008, 05:51 AM
This image has a very "Victorian" feel about it- maybe caused by the K64! (I used many rolls of this excellent film). The sympathy of the BG and bird colours is excellent here. I am not sure digital technology could produce an image like this. Sharpness is great, however, the head and eye are slightly soft.

Jim Poor
04-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Film? What's that? :D

Anywho . . . it looked a little hazy to me (probably from the scan) so I boosted the blacks in both the neutrals and the blacks in selective color.

I noticed a greenish cast (maybe from the film type?) which I eliminated.

I really like the environmental look to this that shows where the bird is without being overpowering. Nicely done.

Dan Brown
04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Jim for the sublte improvements to the image. How did you reduce the greenish cast?

Dan Brown,
Sacramento

Jim Poor
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
For the cast, I did two things:

Duplicate Layer > Filter > Blur > Average (you should now have a solid color layer)
Add Levels Adjustment Layer > Middle (Gray) Eyedropper, click on the solid color to turn it neutral gray (the shift will be subtle to great depending on the extent of the cast)
Turn off visibility of the Blurred layer.
Adjust opacity of the levels layer to taste.

I still didn't quite like the results so:
Image > Adjust > Hue & Sat > green channel and lowered the saturation a bit. (Don't recall the exact amount)

Hope this helps.

Jim

Dan Brown
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, this will be a big help. I need to learn a bit about using layers, obviously. Dan

Arthur Morris
04-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Jim's re-post is more than a subtle improvement. There is, however, still a pretty good greenish cast. You gotta love film...
I do like the stately look of the tom in the tree.