PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Got this female a few weeks ago

1D4 700mm f/5.6 1/1600sec ISO 1600. larger size on my site.

Thanks for looking

Humberto Ramos
05-18-2012, 04:21 AM
Hi Arash, I do like wings position, head angle and BG, all image is very well composed, but I do notice some lack of detail on the head, itīs difficult explain, looking to the head the photo looks a painting, maybe a bit more sharpness to increase the lines, I donīt know...

gail bisson
05-18-2012, 04:22 AM
Another keeper! I like the clouds in the BG and the color palette of the image. The HA is excellent. I like the apparent silkiness of the feathers.
Gail

Kiran Poonacha
05-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Hi Bhai, Nice to see your post. Beautiful details and loved that BG.

Cheers.. Kiran.

christopher galeski
05-18-2012, 06:48 AM
nice image,nice flight pose and detail.well done.

stuart wanuck
05-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Love that image

Andreas Liedmann
05-18-2012, 07:10 AM
Nice one!!!

Ofer Levy
05-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Excellent techs! Head turn and eye contact make this shot for me.

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Hi Arash, I do like wings position, head angle and BG, all image is very well composed, but I do notice some lack of detail on the head, itīs difficult explain, looking to the head the photo looks a painting, maybe a bit more sharpness to increase the lines, I donīt know...

Thanks Humberto but I am not sure what you mean by lack of detail on the head. The head details is fine and it is the way a northern harrier looks like, maybe you haven't seen this bird where you live or perhaps your monitor is bad :2eyes2: Here is a larger view, you can even see the fine hair in the beak area.

Harrier HD (http://ari1982.smugmug.com/Avian/Raptors/Northern-Harrier/14822282_GkGPdC#!i=1757271544&k=BpT2hzv&lb=1&s=O)

Thanks everyone for comments :S3:

Humberto Ramos
05-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Humberto but I am not sure what you mean by lack of detail on the head. The head details is fine and it is the way a northern harrier looks like, maybe you haven't seen this bird where you live or perhaps your monitor is bad :2eyes2: Here is a larger view, you can even see the fine hair in the beak area.

Harrier HD (http://ari1982.smugmug.com/Avian/Raptors/Northern-Harrier/14822282_GkGPdC#!i=1757271544&k=BpT2hzv&lb=1&s=O)

Thanks everyone for comments :S3:
Thanks for the larger version Arash, Indeed the monitor where I’m looking to the image right now its a big crap, later when arrived home will see on my imac to see the difference.
Sorry, but viewing the large version on the same crap monitor, still see the same, even in the larger version can’t see any hair in the beak area, that was one of the main reason for me to tell that I’ve noticed some lack of detail on the head. Probably the problem is the monitor...<o:p></o:p>

Stu Bowie
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Arash, good eye contact in mid flight, and I like the flying posture with the raised near wing. Yes, clouds always add so much to a sky BG. Well captured.

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the larger version Arash, Indeed the monitor where I’m looking to the image right now its a big crap, later when arrived home will see on my imac to see the difference. Sorry, but viewing the large version on the same crap monitor, still see the same, even in the larger version can’t see any hair in the beak area, that was one of the main reason for me to tell that I’ve noticed some lack of detail on the head. Probably the problem is the monitor...<o:p></o:p>

Thanks Humberto, the image is sharp and detailed. It also shows the hair near beak area. I am sorry you can't see it. Good luck figuring it out.

Here is a 100% unsharpened crop from RAW. Pretty darn good for ISO 1600 and low light.

100% crop no sharpening or NR 1D4 ISO1600, converted Canon DPP.

Thanks everyone for nice comments :)

Arthur Morris
05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
The slight head turn towards, the killer underwing detail, the clouds, and the superb image quality (as always) make this one special. The very white part of the cloud just above the top of the head seems to merge with the leading edge of the far wing....

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
The slight head turn towards, the killer underwing detail, the clouds, and the superb image quality (as always) make this one special. The very white part of the cloud just above the top of the head seems to merge with the leading edge of the far wing....

Thanks Artie, did you get my email BTW?

J van Noordwyk
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi arash so sharp at 1600 I like the detail under the near wing and the eye contact a lovely image all round well captured.

Arthur Morris
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks Artie, did you get my email BTW?

YAW. Got them all. Still swamped. See my Glaucous-winged Gull post above for details on swamped :)

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
YAW. Got them all. Still swamped. See my Glaucous-winged Gull post above for details on swamped :)

You are a busy man! Mazel tov to your grandson! Will try to look at the captive shots this weekend

Arthur Morris
05-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Thanks. I will try not to eat too much at the kiddush or the party afterwards :)

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks. I will try not to eat too much at the kiddush or the party afterwards :)

Hey Artie,
Speaking of eating at the party, I also have to count my calories just like you. I am on a training program (that's the secret to hand holding BTW ;) and the diet is very restrict more than 50% protein daily. Can't have Borscht with sour cream or knish anymore :e3 but it's working. The 500 feels like a feather now :bg3:

Have you got to test the new 600 MKII yet?

Humberto Ramos
05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Humberto, the image is sharp and detailed. It also shows the hair near beak area. I am sorry you can't see it. Good luck figuring it out.

Here is a 100% unsharpened crop from RAW. Pretty darn good for ISO 1600 and low light.

100% crop no sharpening or NR 1D4 ISO1600, converted Canon DPP.

Thanks everyone for nice comments :)

Thanks Arash,

Iīm now at home and with the iMac i indeed can see the hairs in the beak area in the large version and even better in the 100% crop.
My apologies, as I said, when I made my comment, I was at work viewing the image in a 17" uncalibrated monitor with low resolution, right now with the iMac 27" the image shows a lot more of detail and my opinion has change.
Thanks again for the HR image and the 100% crop, sorry for the time I've made you spend...

arash_hazeghi
05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks Arash,

Iīm now at home and with the iMac i indeed can see the hairs in the beak area in the large version and even better in the 100% crop.
My apologies, as I said, when I made my comment, I was at work viewing the image in a 17" uncalibrated monitor with low resolution, right now with the iMac 27" the image shows a lot more of detail and my opinion has change.
Thanks again for the HR image and the 100% crop, sorry for the time I've made you spend...

Humberto,
I appreciate your comments. No need to apologize at all, this is a critique forum and you should say whatever you feel. Even if you think the image is soft or bad. :S3: This is what makes this forum great!

I try to respond so the viewers can see and decide and perhaps see if the points discussed are relevant to their photos. I think there was a thread on the gear forum about importance of having a good calibrated display. Many people put a lot of effort on taking great photos and also buy top notch gear but they use a cheap monitor to view and process their images. IMO it's a big mistake :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Arash, head turn is the best part here IMO. also lvoed the underwing details and the soft BG. very nice, indeed. I was hoping I could get a chance to come to our Sunnyvale headquarters this summer also. doesn't look like its happening :-(

MohsenVahedipour
05-19-2012, 03:59 AM
Nice work Arash. I like wing position, excellent underwing detail, mild blue sky & OOF clouds behind the raptor. TFS

arash_hazeghi
05-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks everyone for comments. appreciate it

Frank Schauf
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Really nice flight shot and great details.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Superb image as usual Arash!

the extra repost makes this thread more interesting.