PDA

View Full Version : African Buffalo

Andreas Liedmann
05-17-2012, 01:50 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/207467/buffaloDS9JK.jpg

Photographed this Buffalo in Babwata NP in Namibia.While i was watching a herd of Buffalos in the park all of a sudden the whole herd started running .I was not ready for this kind of shot ,that is the reason why the SS/ISO combination was not ideal . Sorry for that.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
EF 500 IS L +1.4 TC
Beanbag

F8 / 1/400sec / Iso 800

85% of FF

Processed in Canon DPP + PS CS 6 tryout NR,LCE,levels,curves (lumMask), Vibrance,Websharpening

Hope you like it,crits good or bad most welcome.

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Andreas - no need to apologise since I think the SS worked beautifully here!!
Sharp as a tack on the head (where it matters) and a great sense of motion elsewhere. Colour/exposure looks great too.
Congrats :5

Nancy Bell
05-17-2012, 05:31 PM
This is excellent! I really like how the buffalo stands out so clearly from the bkgd and that the bkgd is a contrasting pale and has just enough detail. Of course, the running buffalo is the star of the image and as Morkel states, a great sense of motion and still the head & that front leg has very good detail.

Grant Atkinson
05-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Excellent shot Andreas, one of the better buffalo pics I have seen....great work. The contrast between the rich, tones and finely detailed buffalo and the misty, almost forest-like background really make this work for me
cheers
Grant

Rachel Hollander
05-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Andreas - I agree with all of the above. This works really well, nice sense of movement and sharp where it counts.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi Andreas, an outstanding image of an animal we do see posted, but not quite like this, great. :cheers: Perhaps a little more below?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-18-2012, 08:13 AM
Thank you guys,
makes me happy that i can satisfy ?? you with my image.
Please keep posting.

Steve - there is no more room under the hooves to show.Everything was happening very quickly,so i was to get this guy isolated from all the others.!!!

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks Andreas on both counts. Have sent another PM re your account.

Cheers
Steve

Ken Watkins
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Andreas,

Now this is what I call very good indeed, perfect proof that getting it right in camera does not always matter. Background is escellent, as is the capture of movement.

Never heard of this NP before is it newly named?

Presumably a part of the Caprivi Strip where Lianshula etc are?

Andreas Liedmann
05-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Hi Ken,
thank you.The exact location is the Caprivi Section.It is now called Babwata (NP or GR).Saw the buffaloes in the Buffalo Area,is located opposite Mahango GR on the other side of Mahango River,not well prepared GR.When i was there a big part of that section was too muddy for my 4x4 rental car.I was almost alone in that park.

Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
05-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Andreas,
Thanks for the info, I have not been in that area for some time, it is nearly always muddy:bg3:

Always great to see somebody travelling to lesser known areas, whilst not usually brilliant for sightings there is always something interesting and I find it far more excciting than having it served up on a plate. I suppose it is all down to whether your sole purpose is photography or just being in the bush, with very few others?

Andreas Liedmann
05-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Hi Ken,
i think just a mixture of both!!!

jack williamson
05-19-2012, 03:54 PM
This is an outstanding image! The sharp as a tack face and the perfect motion blur everywhere else plus the just right BG make for a great shot. I know it has already been mentioned but I would like to see a little more room in front and below. Excellent.

Jack

Harshad Barve
05-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Winner all the way for me
TFS

Andreas Liedmann
05-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Thanks Harshad
thanks Jack