PDA

View Full Version : Pack Ice around Svalbard

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 04:48 AM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/206812/packiceNW0M5.jpg

Hello guys Seascape taken from boat around Svalbard (Norway)

Canon EOS 1D Mark II
Ef 17-40 at 17 mm
HH

F16 / 1/500sec / ISO 200

Processed in Canon DPP + PS CS6 tryout NR,Levels,Curves (lum mask ),LCE ,Vibrance ,Sharpening Slight crop + CR

Hope you like it,comments good or bad please

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Andreas, yep captivates the scene well, and good use of the % split between land & sky, although I'm sure the landscape guys will add a truck load more. Like the icy blue of the water coming through in the water, did you slightly darken the sky? :bg3: Obviously this was taken from the bow as it cut through the ice, were you with Norbert Rosing (but not on HM Stockholm), only because of the linkage of locations? :w3 It certainly is a magical location for both landscapes and the wildlife.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi Steve
Yes for sky darkening,yes slightly on the left of the bow,no i did not go with NR ,i went with a dutch guy (forgot his name) on the Prof Molchanov.Excellent trip i can ,even if we saw only 4 polar bears in far distance. I could not manage to get a decent shot of the bears.But that`s nature.The boat was small and i met only nice people.

Thanx for watching Andreas

Rachel Hollander
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Andreas - nice exposure and detail in the ice. I too like the vastness of the iceflow and the colors of the water and nearest ice.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I really like the composition here, Andreas, as well as the depth.
I wish there were some "blue ice" tones though? Did you tone down the blue/cyan channels at all?
This could work well in B&W too! :bg3:

Andrew McLachlan
05-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Andreas, love the vast icy seascape. A little more blue tones would be nice, but only a touch if you add some. Too much might look unatural due to the overcast conditions. Agree with morkel on the B&W...that was my first thought when I viewed the image..great subject for B&W. Nice work!

Robert Amoruso
05-17-2012, 05:50 AM
I agree with the above and add the FG cut int he ice acts strongly as a leading line - so good composition from that perspective.

Like I did in the post previous to this I would make the following suggestions:

1) Local Contrast enhancement using USM on a BG Copy at 20/50/0 and change to taste. This will enhance detail in the ice and clouds.
2) Sharpen it some more after the LCE.

Andrew Aveley
05-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Great crit and advice above. Maybe a slight clockwise rotation? Maybe just my eyes :) Lines and composition are magic , TFS