PDA

View Full Version : Walrus Scape

Andreas Liedmann
05-15-2012, 01:33 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/206653/walrusDIVC2.jpg

Photographed this Walrus in his environment on Svalbard (Norway)

Canon EOS 1D Mark II N
EF 17-40 at 40mm
HH
f6 / 1/1000sec / ISO 200

90 crop of FF and CR

Processed in Canon DPP + CS6 tryout levels ,curves (lum mask),LCE,vibrance,sharpening. NOTHING ADDED OR REMOVED !!!!!:t3

Hope you like it ,comments please good or bad!!

Cheers Andreas

Gerald Kelberg
05-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Hi Andreas, Great to see the Walrus in his environment and you have positioned him well in the frame, but somehow he seems to lack prominence. Everything is so clear and sharp that my eye goes straight to the distant mountains. Have you considered cropping about half the sky to more of a pano format?

Arriving Longyearbyen on 13th June - looks cold!

Regards,

Gerald

Steve Kaluski
05-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi Andreas, a good location that's for sure.

I would like to see the mountains & sky far darker and more threatening to give the image more drama. It just looks washed out and lacking any real punch. Both the sea and subject look over sharp, creating an almost fine dot look. In addition the 50/50 split is a little boring, would have looked at say 1/3 - 2/3s split. A 'pano' option is worth considering with perhaps the split ratio.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/206734/walrusEOBGU.jpg

Thanks to you guys Steve and Gerald for your inspiration and critique.I tried something differently.I think it looks better!! Steve the first version that i made was almost as dramatic as this one (without pano),but then i decided to back off!!
Do not ask me why,because afterwards i think my first attempt on screen was better as the one that i finally posted,funny hey!!!
WDYT???
Let me know.
Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Andreas, this is a lovely scape. I do agree with most of Steve's critique, though.
Here's a repost where I resized to 800px (in order to reduce water sharpness), then sharpened only the walrus (very roughly selected).
I then cropped to pano, removing the bottom left corner which was distracting to me, and some of the sky.
I then ran Robert's luminosity mask at 40% opacity on multiply mode to done down overall brights.
Lastly I selected the mountains/sky and burned highlights and shadows a bit, also ran USM 20% 10px on it.

What do you think?? :e3

Morkel Erasmus
05-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Sorry Andreas, I saw we posted simultaneously :e3
I like what you did - though you darkened the mountains perhaps a bit too much?

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Sorry Morkel
i like what i did,even with the mountains.As Steve suggested it should look more dramatic.But i will try another one.

Harshad Barve
05-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Lovely image with great potential
TFS

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 02:30 AM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/206776/walrus2EBW00.jpg

Hello you critical guys out there (meant positive)

another try by myself. WDYT? I liKe it even more contrast and color wise!!!!!!

Comments please good or bad.

Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
05-16-2012, 02:40 AM
On my rubbish monitor here in UK, the orig does look a little light.

Given that we are really supposed to get everything "right in camera" I am at a loss to see what anything recommended other than the crop has achieved. Was the sky actually threatening?

Looking forward to returning next year:w3

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2012, 02:56 AM
Hi Andreas, that third RP (RP Repost) looks much better, it has more impact both in terms of how you have cropped it and the thirds section, plus the now more powerful backdrop. Looks like there is some red or magenta creeping in on the LHS and from the right side (as viewed) from the walrus in the water, check 'info' window for %. Good to see how it's developing.

Steve

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 04:08 AM
Hi Steve
your tooooooo critical (LOL),just joking.I saw that slight magenta color coming through but i am fine with it.May be i try to remove and see how it looks.Anyhow thanks for your support to develop my posts.

Ken, the weather situation was honestly a dull ,slightly misty day.So i made some dramatic moves within the image because of suggestions by other viewers,and they took me to the right direction ,at least from POV.

Keep on commenting this image .

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-16-2012, 04:23 AM
I saw that slight magenta color coming through but i am fine with it.May be i try to remove and see how it looks.

That's fine Andreas, as it's there for critique even the little points do matter and goes to help develop the image if it needs it. Glad to know you feel it's all going in the right direction, if you need further help the door is always open, just knock on it. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
05-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Andreas - I like your last repost the best. Good thinking in the field to use the wide angle lens and nice placement of the walrus.

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Your repost work alot better, love the composition and placement of the walrus.

Morkel Erasmus
05-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Last repost rocks! :5

Andreas Liedmann
05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Thank you guys,
Cheers Andreas

Ken Watkins
05-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Andreas,

Back to a decent monitor now,The various reposts in my view darken the bare patches of the mountains too much, but I suppose it is all down to personal taste.

Andreas Liedmann
05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks Ken,
i think you are right.It is just personal taste in this case.and not only in this case!!!!
My POV is ,as long the image is technically ok ,we can work them the way we like them. WDYT??

Cheers Andreas