PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Gull -jump after the bath

gail bisson
05-14-2012, 03:38 PM
I took this image at St. Pete's Beach. I saw the gull bathing so I waded into the surf to get in front of him/her and waited for the "jump".
Canon 1D MK IV
F 2.8 70-200 and 1.4x converter
Cropped by ~ 25%
SS 1/1600
ISO 400
f 6.3
Taken at 7:02PM
I joined BPN a year ago today and want to say thank you to all of you who have helped me improve as a photographer. I feel like "I have come a long way, Baby"!
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Don Lacy
05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Nice pose and details Gail you might also consider a vertical crop here.

Grace Scalzo
05-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Perfect timing and exposure .

Grace Scalzo
05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
What a year it has been for you. I think I've enjoyed your eagles the most. Looking forward to year #2.

Marina Scarr
05-14-2012, 06:33 PM
The whites look a tad hot here in PS but I imagine that happened when you converted to sRGB. It's nice to see that you worked hard for the image and anticipated the behavior. I like the included elements of environment.

Congratulations on your one year anniversary, Gail! When looking back, it's amazing how our photography has evolved. I agree with Grace on your eagle photos. They are really spectacular.

Melissa Groo
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
You sure have come a long way, Gail. I know what you mean, as this forum has been critical in my own improvement--still very much evolving. Thank you for your devotion to helping make this a learning forum for all of us.
Great timing here, and like your comp and the wing position. I see what Marina means about whites being a tad hot, and I also wish I could see both eyes, but it's still a striking image. Nice job.
Looking forward to meeting you next month!

dankearl
05-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Did you ever post bad photos?
This is excellent, a great take off and I like the crop as is.
The one area I can say looks better these days is your Processing.
They look smooth and really nicely done.

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
you have certainly come a long way! congrats :cheers:

There are many forums on the internet but BPN really helps improve your photography both from a technical as well as aesthetic point of view. It's great that you are a part of the community and a valuable member. looking forward to see more images

This one is nice too! I like the light and the water drops. whites look good to me just wished we could see both eyes

Stu Bowie
05-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi Gail, congrats on your 1 year anniversary. Thank you for all your support on the many members that you find time to comment on, and you certainly are a quick learner. :w3

Your work has grown from strength to strength and that shows that you absorb all the comments and help from others.

Now back to your image - great angled head on capture, and well timed for the jump. Im on my lousy laptop, so cant comment on the whites, but they 'look fine' from my laptop. Overall sharp, and good to see the raised wings. I do like the whites of the gull against the blues of the water.

Hope to see you around for a long long time. Also hoping we can finally meet, if you get to Pilanesberg in November.

Vivaldo Damilano
05-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi Gail congrates for first year anniversary. Superb image, great pose and upright wings. I would also try a vertical crop on this one.

Roman Kurywczak
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Congrats! Great timing here! Pose works very well too!

rajojomanik
05-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Congrats Gail and thank you for telling me about this forum. What set this forum apart for the rest is the constructive criticism, a way to learn and improve.

Great anticipation and timing on this little gull.