PDA

View Full Version : Head Hunter...

Arthur Morris
04-15-2008, 08:21 PM
When I was up in NY, I knew that the Herring Gulls on Long Island would be in breeding plumage. I wanted to find a bright one with a white, white head and a perfect bill and then create a tight head portrait. And that is pretty much what I did :)

Canon 600mm f/4L IS lens with the 2X II TC and the EOS-1D MIII from the car with the BLUBB (Big Lens Ultiimate Beanbag) on the window. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/400 sec. at f/11.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

Daniel Cadieux
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Man the gulls look so good at this time of year - very hard to ignore!! I like this alot, and the grayish BG complements the gull's plumage very nicely.

Steve Maxson
04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
I looks to me like you achieved your goal admirably. What's not to like here? A beautiful image.

Mike Milicia
04-15-2008, 10:04 PM
You certainly found a beautiful specimen and a great bg to go with it !
Great comp and dof.

I hesitate to say anything since I know that I sometimes tend to err on the side of making images too bright but this looks a bit dark to my eyes, especially given how bright white these birds are.
Color also seems to be a bit on the cool side on my monitor.
Here's my humble attempt to lighten it a bit by bringing in the white point in Levels and adding a bit of Yellow and Magenta using a Color Balance adjustment.

Judd Patterson
04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
White indeed! Love the great breeding plumage here. I agree with Mike that the original seems a bit gray and whiter plumage helps the image to stand out even more. I gave it a quick levels and curves adjustment, where I attempted to keep the whites just 'barely' under control while also boosting contrast to highlight available feather shadow detail. I'll come back later to reevaluate my attempt...sometimes it takes a break to objectively determine if an edit goes too far!

http://www.juddpatterson.com/BPN/am_herring.jpg

Jan Wegener
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
I agree that the whites are played too save in your initial post. The last one looks the best, but is almost too bright. I don't like the huge space on top and on the left side, so I'd go for a tighter crop.

Sid Garige
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Artie,

One thing I always wanted to ask and I guess here my chance. I am not sure but logically it works for me. We read from left to right. looking at this image I started with head, then the point of interest birds eye and then to the beak and ended up in empty space. When I flipped image horizontally, I started with empty space and ended with point of interest. It always made me feel good ending with point of interest. Does it make sense flipping image for this reason?

Arthur Morris
04-16-2008, 06:54 AM
First off, thanks to all for the attention given this image. Of the first two re-posts, I like Mike's best; Judd's is just too light on this monitor (that after checking my calibration strip). BTW, the BKGR is a parking lot. There is of course considerable leeway when optimizing an image; personal taste and having been there all come into play. For example, when I made this image it was pretty much cloudy dark. Lastly, I tend to like my images a bit darker than most (though I am trying to process lighter than I did a month ago...)

Jan: what "huge space"??? I would not change the COMP one iota.

Sid: the bird looks backwards to me in your re-post... :D

ps: the birds can't read! Seriously, it simply does not matter to me. Your repost looks odd to me because I was there... I tend to like my birds facing to my right. That does not make a lot of sense either.

Jim Poor
04-16-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok, this is where I show how odd I am. . .

Great image as is for sure, but one thing I would have tried is to get an angle where we can see clearly through the "nostril" to the other side. I had this happen on accident once and really liked the result so now I try for it whenever I can.

Back into my cave of oddities now ;)

P.S. I know that would change the angle of the head to the sensor plane, but still . . .

Arthur Morris
04-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok, this is where I show how odd I am. . . Great image as is for sure, but one thing I would have tried is to get an angle where we can see clearly through the "nostril" to the other side. I had this happen on accident once and really liked the result so now I try for it whenever I can. Back into my cave of oddities now ;) P.S. I know that would change the angle of the head to the sensor plane, but still . . .

Hey Jim, I love when that happens but I never look for it; when I "get it," it is totally serendipitous. If you put your reading glasses on, you can see just a tad of the background through the nares (top right).

Maxis Gamez
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I have to agree with Artie about whatever which way you photograph the bird, so you are out of luck on this one Sid :)

I think Judd's re-post stands out a lot more. Looks very white compare to the others.

Either way a very nice image with a "classic" pose.

geothomas
04-16-2008, 04:36 PM
I love the colors and the sharpness of the eye. My only comment/question is that this seems almost perfectly centered in the frame and I would think a bit of crop off the left would have this adhere more to the rule of thirds.