Camera Nikon D3S
Exposure 0.003 sec (1/400)
Aperture f/10.0
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash

Vivaldo Damilano
05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Yew shame, looks like she is smiling at you. Great image, like the open beak and thin perch TFS:cheers:

gail bisson
05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I don't think he/she is saying that at all!
Good call on the DOF. Great comp and the open beak adds to the image. Perch is nice as well. Vegetation is interesting but a bit busy.
Gail

Marina Scarr
05-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I have to agree with Gail that this little owl does not look like a happy camper. Maybe he is bothered by the sun directly in his eyes. It looks as though he may have been placed on the perch for a set up shot. I would rather see more room on the top and a little less on the bottom. Exposure looks good but could use a little sharpening. What lens were you using for this capture, Troy?

Troy Lim
05-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I have to agree with Gail that this little owl does not look like a happy camper. Maybe he is bothered by the sun directly in his eyes. It looks as though he may have been placed on the perch for a set up shot. I would rather see more room on the top and a little less on the bottom. Exposure looks good but could use a little sharpening. What lens were you using for this capture, Troy?

I shot with the 70-200mm. Owlets make all sorts of expressions, this was few frames before he yawn and closed his eyes. If I could do a setup shot, I would not have chosen such busy vegetation...I will just have to keep on waiting.
Good news is I was told there is another nest with 4 chicks. Imaging if I could get the family shot...I am hoping anyway..

Melissa Groo
05-14-2012, 07:44 PM
What an adorable owlet--is this a screechie? I think Marina has good suggestions on sharpening and comp. As for the setup question, I can't imagine you or anyone for that matter actually handling a chick for the purpose of a photograph, seems it would be such a grievous error in judgement and ethics, and you don't strike me as that type of person, Troy.
Good luck with your other nest possibility!

Troy Lim
05-14-2012, 07:53 PM
What an adorable owlet--is this a screechie? I think Marina has good suggestions on sharpening and comp. As for the setup question, I can't imagine you or anyone for that matter actually handling a chick for the purpose of a photograph, seems it would be such a grievous error in judgement and ethics, and you don't strike me as that type of person, Troy.
Good luck with your other nest possibility!

Thank you Melissa. I must not have applied enough sharpening. It was hard against the silimar color range background. Will continue to follow this cutie.

Satish Ranadive
05-15-2012, 12:15 AM
Excellent image.Love the laughing expression of owl.

Roman Kurywczak
05-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Love the expression! Maybe a touch of contrast on the little guy? Small and easy tweaks will make this shine!