PDA

View Full Version : Black Billed Cuckoo

Jim Fenton
01-05-2008, 07:06 AM
The first and only time I've observed one of these beauties, I was able to capture a couple of images before the bird flew off.

This image was captured on my birthday. I was out shooting and nothing was moving. Upon heading back to the car, I noted what looked like a clump in the tree that didn't belong there and it wasn't until I was fairly close, that the birds eyes caught my attention.

Nikon D2X, 500 AFSII lens and TC14EII Converter. ISO 400, f7.1. Andover, Massachusetts.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Lucky you, I'd love to see this species sometime. I like the pose and light. The busy BG doesn't bother me except for the little branch crossing the tail. The image appears a bit noisy and there is a sharpening halo, especially around the perch. I might also tone down the white plumage a little.

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Great birthday present Jim !!!!

I love everything about it except the bg !!! That feather detail in great and love that eye Might try blurring the branches in the bg to softens Oh might move the bird a tad to the left !!! Congrats !!!

btw trying to update the profile with full names Could you send me a PM to see if is of with you Thanks !!!

Jim Neiger
01-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Cool bird and pose, Jim! The somewhat distracting bg and slightly hot whites have already been mentioned.

Glenn Bartley
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
A well framed image in a nice natural setting. The BG doesnt really bother me :)

Nikolay Staykov - shotlandetsa
01-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Very nice image :)

Jody Melanson
01-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Gorgeous subject, Jim! I second what Alfred mentioned...

Judd Patterson
01-06-2008, 10:35 PM
This is a rare species to get into the open. It appears a bit noisy and lacking some fine detail (perhaps a bit crop?), but it is still among the best I have ever seen for this species. Nice job!