PDA

View Full Version : Baby on Board

Steve Canuel
05-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Pregnant pronghorn doe on a dark, dreary day. With fields starting to green up, this doe should be dropping some babies within the next few weeks. Twins are pretty common, even seen a few triplets. I kind of like the raised white rump fur being visible on this frontal view. They raise it as warning signal (along with audible huffs and snorts) for other pronghorn in the area that danger has been spotted. 5DII, 500/4 + 1.4xTCII, f6.3, 1/80s, ISO 800, +1 EC, HH from vehicle, small crop all around.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2012, 04:05 PM
I like the soft light and the "dead-on" angle here, Steve.
In shots like this I often prefer having the subject dead-centre, provides a nice alternative to the usual "ROT placement" (don't know if you shot one like that too?) :w3
The colours of the doe and the grass work well together.

Ken Watkins
05-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Steve,

Classic pose and the light has cerainly helped with the difficult whites.

I hope you can get us some nice images of the little ones

Nancy Bell
05-14-2012, 07:21 AM
The head-on look really emphasizes the lovely large eyes & eyelashes of the pronghorn plus the very alert & symmetrical shape of the ears. And yes, that baby does make her look fat :S3: ! I would consider cropping a bit off the bottom since one's eye goes immediately to the face of the pronghorn and having extra space at the bottom does not seem necessary.

Steve Kaluski
05-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi Steve, nice to see you posting again. Would have to agree with Morkel's observation, the image would certainly improve with the subject being central, as then everything would balance nicely. The slight overcast conditions has helped overall and it looks like you nailed it at 1/80.

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
05-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Lovel detail adn IQ ad the light has been well handled. Nice one Steve!

Rachel Hollander
05-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Steve - nice alert pose and IQ looks good despite slow ss. Well done. Looking forward to seeing your shots of the youngsters in the not so distant future.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
05-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the comments folks. Interesting about the centering. I looked at a center crop originally but went just slightly off center because the doe is just slightly off angle to my position. Also liked the diagonal line of grass clumps, that to my eye, make a line cutting down from the URC across the frame.

Harshad Barve
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Excellent image Steve , whats there not to like
TFS

Andreas Liedmann
05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Hi Steve
for that SS really good IQ/sharpness.For my taste too centered in the frame,or a even tighter crop i would prefer.Colors look good,may be cleaning the whites a bit.

Andreas

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 09:39 AM
Hi Steve, great head on capture - it shows the lovely large eyes and eye lashes nicely. I like the soft light, and detail and colours of the pronghorn, and great sharpness for such a slow ss.