FNumber: 20
ISO Speed Ratings: 100
White Balance: Auto white balance
Lens Model: EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2012, 04:25 PM
It's never too late to start, Derek!
I think you did well here. Light is always tough in these "foresty" scenes...
The flowing water is nicely blurred and the various cascades lead the eyes up the rocks to the top. I think you would do well to add some midtone contrast to this one as posted.

I also felt like playing around with a B&W conversion...what do you think?? :e3

Derek Willcox
05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
thanks Morkel i do like the B&W just a question how do i just adjust the mid tone contrast in PS
and i do admire your S.A shots and try to base things on them to get an idea

Morkel Erasmus
05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
thanks Morkel i do like the B&W just a question how do i just adjust the mid tone contrast in PS
and i do admire your S.A shots and try to base things on them to get an idea

No problem, Derek.
An easy way to adjust midtone contrast (there are many ways :tinysmile_shy_t:)...is to open up your "shadow/highlight" tool...now make sure you set shadow recovery and highlight recovery both to ZERO so that they have no effect on the image. Check at the bottom of that toolbox, there should be a "midtone contrast" slider/scale. Set that to about 10-20 depending on taste. Shout if you need further guidance!

Derek Willcox
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
thank you Morkel that really made a difference you can really notice the wet area now and i learnt some thing new
heres a repost with +20 adjustment

Robert Amoruso
05-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Derek,

I like the composition. The multiple paths the water takes on its transverse to the bottom is pleasing and acts well as leading lines. I like that one is most dominate (on right) and the other two (left and middle) lesser so.

Derek Willcox
05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
thanks Robert i have more that i did with different angles from both sides

Andrew McLachlan
05-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Hi Derek, very nice work on the repost. This looks like a lovely waterfall to explore during variances in the river's flow for multiple verions of this beauty. You did very well composing this image with the low water level by placing the 3 separate cascades where you did. If that log in the foreground wasn't very heavy I might have removed it for a cleaner looking foreground, but it is still alovely photo. Well done!

Derek Willcox
05-14-2012, 07:26 PM
thanks andrew i knew that log was there but it didn't really click to move it until i got home and went thru my shots some times i worry about moving things because it was in a N.P didn't know show could be around

Andrew Aveley
05-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Derek , great use of the ss and filter. Repost is even better. BW here is still 2nd to the colour version IMHO :) Instead of removing the log as its in a NP , maybe a little creative movement to include it in the frame ;)