PDA

View Full Version : Theme Nice Guys Finish Last...Royal Terns

Daniel Cadieux
05-13-2012, 07:41 AM
So, one Royal Tern did all the work: went fishing, presented the offering, voice his intentions, "danced" with a potential mate, chased off rivals, and made all the right moves. Yet, it was another tern that actually had the privilege of walking off with the prize...while the poor "nice guy" could only trail behind and watch. Fort Desoto, northern point of North Beach.

Canon 7D + 100-400L @360mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/3200s., f/6.3, ISO 400 (settings histogram checked), natural light, handheld, FF equivalent (halved the FG at bottom, and added same amount above). I do wish I had been 1/2 inch higher for the hidden foot of the female.

Vikram Agrawal
05-13-2012, 09:14 AM
lovely action and excellent exposure. i love the shallow DOF too. well done.

Mat Bingham
05-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Really like this it tells a great story....

Marina Scarr
05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Absolutely love the story told by this capture, Daniel. You did well to get the gorgeous background and great angles on the terns...almost as though they were putting on a show just for you. It was a pleasure meeting you out there, Daniel.

On second look, your horizon at the water looks a tad off.

Melissa Groo
05-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Fantastic story and image, Daniel. Love the body positions of the two mating, couldn't ask for better head angles and near wing angle on the male. The only thing that could have improved this is as you say the inclusion of the feet on the female. But I would be thrilled to have this.

Craig Kerr
05-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Opportunity well used Daniel... Love the action

Roman Kurywczak
05-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Great moment and agree with your foot assesment. I normally don't like images with the RH bird OOF......seems to work here and goes with the story. Would also work without him as well. Sorry I missed you as it looks like you did very well!

stuart wanuck
05-13-2012, 02:45 PM
so well done

dankearl
05-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Really cool photo, Daniel, Great expressions on the bird and I like the walking up the back.

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2012, 01:20 AM
nice action and good exposure. I have mixed feelings about the clipped tern

Frank Schauf
05-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Nice action shot.

Shawn Zierman
05-14-2012, 04:42 AM
Love the drama! The storytelling aspect and setting are just great.
Technically it's a rock solid image except for the chopped tern on the
right...the "nice guy"...first he doesn't get the girl, then he only half way
makes into the story....No, seriously, I think the image would be much
better and more complete with the inclusion of the whole bird. Curious if you
got some images with the whole bird (as you had the framing ability with the
zoom)....?

Ofer Levy
05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
This image with only the pair is fantastic! The cut, OOF bird has to go IMHO.

Randy Stout
05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Daniel:
Great story telling. As a story, the right guy helps. As a straight, make the best possible image, I would consider cropping, cloning him out.'

Excellent timing, angle of birds, BG.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Daniel, awesome shooting angle. I dont mind the feet missing. the under-the-eye-level shooting angle give a great prespective. great moment frozen with that feet and wing position. subjects' angle is perfect. agree with Randy..for story the other tern is fine but it would also be stron without it.

hey...you should start posting 1024 wide for more impact. your shots are so good...I feel the smaller size holds them back a bit.

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Knock out 0 great image and I enjoyed the legend to go with it. I think you have two equally valid images there one with and one without the tern on the right, just depends upon how it is presented.