PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom of the Spoonbills

Mike Godwin
04-15-2008, 07:25 PM
http://gatorland.com/blogs/rookery/files/2008/04/40508_1.jpg

Nikon D200 w/Sigma 170-500 @ 500mm (Handheld) f/7.1 1/640 -0.3 step Taken at Gatorland 4/5/08 at 6:27 pm

Recently someone posted a picture of Spoonbill humor, so I thought I would continue with this image of Gatorland's Phantom of the Spoonbills! This was taken back on April 5, on a Saturday just after a torrential rain passed through. Several of us were huddled under the North Gazebo, not that it did much good as the rain was coming in sideways... and Robert Amoruso and his wife were stuck at the Observation Tower, although they seemed much drier than we were!

If the image was sharper I would have been tempted to do a closeup, but as some of you know I am a handholder, and the Sigma is a bit soft at the 500mm distance. One of these days I may break down and get real long lens and a tripod... but for now I hope you enjoy the humor in the image. Been meaning to post this for awhile, just not enough time in the day anymore!

:D

Mike Godwin
Gatorland

Judd Patterson
04-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Really cool pose Mike! I love how the wing and tail feathers appear to be nearly touching... Was this just a pose after the rain past, or did the spoonbill actually tuck it's head into its wing during the downpour? I keep hoping to get get up to Gatorland this spring, but I'm having trouble with the not enough time in the day as well! :D

Mike Godwin
04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey Judd,

I have a whole series of this bird preening after the storm had passed. What I should have put in the first post was that the storm had passed through, and all of the birds were out drying themselves and preening. The pine trees were full of Black Vultures with their wings spread wide to dry as the sun came out, and while I was shooting them this Spoonie flew onto a dead pine and began preening. I know I have a vivid imagination... after all I was born and raised on an alligator farm/tourist attraction, but I swear this bird reminded me of the Phantom of the Opera character with sort of a wry grin and his wing as a pink cape draped to hide his mask.

It's worth making the time to come out to Gatorland, as the action is quite spectacular right now. I'm there every Tuesday through Saturday from 7:30am to about 8:00pm, but I still see something new every day! As a matter of fact I saw a Spoonie fly upside down recently... was the damndest thing I ever saw! Come on by when you have the time, just bring plenty of batteries and memory!

Mike Godwin
Gatorland