Melissa Groo
05-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Canon 1D4
500mm +1.4x
Handheld

ISO 1000
1/5000 sec
f5/6

Taken in a marsh down in North Fort Myers, FL a few days ago. Was shooting with friends Marina Scarr, Cheryl Molennor, Robert Blanchard and Mary Goetzinger together at various times over a week down there, had a wonderful time. Spent a few hours with some stilts and was happy to get some images, my first time ever seeing them. They are so beautiful! Got a mating sequence too (though Marina had the better angle!!). It was a very muddy stinky place and I was lying on my belly in the muck most of the time there, using my Skimmer Pod. Hard to do flight with the pod though, so I would remove it from time to time and handhold while sitting up.
Slight crop, some darkening of the BG via Viveza, NR, highlight recovery. Hope you like it. All C & C greatly appreciated.

dankearl
05-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Excellent flight photo. Sharp as can be and very nice wing position.
Although I like the mud drops, I would still move it back in the frame and maybe lose some drops.
Beautiful BG.

Ian Cassell
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Excellent image! I might consider cloning out that horizontal weed that is in continuity with his foot.

christopher galeski
05-13-2012, 02:49 AM
very nice,love the mud drops,good light,good flight pose,nice eye contact.well done.

rajojomanik
05-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Great shot. I also like the mud drops, it makes the take-off more dramatic.

Gary Esman
05-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Sweet shot Melissa! Everything looks great. That stinky place landed you a great opportunity.

Gary.

Marina Scarr
05-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Well I may have had a great angle on the mating but you nailed this flight shot, Melissa. I love everything about it, but esp the BG, light and the kicked up mud.

Craig Kerr
05-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Beautiful BIF image Melissa, excellent detail and lovely colors... It pays to play dirty :-)

Roman Kurywczak
05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
He Melissa,
Techs look good and some interesting suggestions above worth exploring......no matter what you choose..... an excellent image!

Colin Knight
05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Love the mud, wouldn't change a thing on the comp. I like how the bird is low over the water, great wind position too and those red eyes are a killer. Great habitat shot as well! I think maybe some more NR is need on the dark parts of the wing. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa Groo
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Colin, I think you're right about a tad more NR on the wing needed. And Ian, I also think you make a good point about getting rid of the weed in continuity with the foot, that kinda bugs me.
I appreciate each and every comment and suggestion, thanks all.

arash_hazeghi
05-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Excellent Melissa! This is a tough shot and not everyone can get one of these guys in flight with such a pose. You have mastered the technique so congrats! I also like the mud trail and the position of the feet which adds a more dynamic touch

Awesome!

Ofer Levy
05-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Great stuff Melissa!! Removed a bit of the yellow cast - what do you think?

Melissa Groo
05-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Whew, definitely better, Ofer, thank you so much! I appreciate your time and eye.

Jonathan Ashton
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Absolutely superb, love it. I would not worry about the grasses the background, the bird keeps my attention.