PDA

View Full Version : Arctic fox

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 07:05 AM
Pfew, we're certainly started nicely. I've been away from the computer for a couple of days and it took me a while to keep up with all the comments. I think I had most of them now...some great work! What I noticed is that most people tend to record their subject quite large in frame. Especially when you are able to get reasonably close to a subject I find it nice to use a slightly wider angle to show some of the stunning environments this world has to offer. Down here in Holland it is pretty hard doing this without showing houses, fences, telegraph poles, ect ect...but in an area where the environment is also overwhelmingly beautiful it might be nice to show that as well in you wildlife photographs.

Anyway...here's an example. Photographed in the high arctic of Svalbard. I was able to get really close to this arctic fox and to create an image that shows its environment as well. Perhaps I should have moved a bit more to the right, to avoid the glacier merging with the head, but I was so close I didn't dare to move myself around the fox.

Canon EOS1Dmk2N
Canon EF70-200/2.8L IS USM @ 90mm
1/160 @ f/16
ISO400, RAW
Handheld, anglefinder

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Excellent image, Jasper. It would have been interesting to see one photographed further to the right but I like it as is. I'm so envious. :)

Alfred Forns
01-05-2008, 08:50 AM
You are a sic man Jasper:D Love this image

I like the suggestion very much The little room makes all the difference !!!!

DanWalters
01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Beautiful image! I really like the comp and the idea about showing more of the enviroment.
I see what you mean about the glacier by the head, but it does not bother me.

D. Robert Franz
01-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Fine environmetal image for sure... A few nits on the BG allready mentioned but only minor.

Jason Hahn
01-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Great job including the habitat in this image, you really tell a story about he world this creature lives in through your image.

Jason

Jim Poor
01-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I really enjoy these wider perspectives, but I'm guilty of rarely taking advantage of them myself. The glacier doesn't bother me and I had to go back to look to see what you meant. I like the contemplative look on the fox.

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Wonderful perspective and I love the light and colorful background. Great shot of the fox and its environment. ;)

Maxis Gamez
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Take me there now!! :)

What a lovely image Jasper. The composition works very well especially with the little rock to the right. Love the colors and the BG looks like a fun place for landscapes. Excellent work!

Mike Lentz
01-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Definitely a beautiful image!! No nits here.

David Fletcher
01-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Saw this image in this month's BBC wildlife magazine. Like it a lot. Dave

Glenn Wheeler
01-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Wonderful image. I too love the wider angle of the shot and the BG doesn't bother me.

The colors in the BG are wonderful and I love the accent on his eye (which has a cool reflection).

Well done!

Ian McHenry
01-11-2008, 02:08 AM
Nice sharp fox and beautiful composition.

Bill Lammers
01-12-2008, 10:59 PM
Hello Jasper, excellant image, yes i agree that a lot of us try for portraits or full animal pictures!!!thanks for the suggestion to have more landscape (environment) in photo's,i'm certainly going to try for that.
Bill.