PDA

View Full Version : Incorrectly composed Kingbird, ha ha

Jack Breakfast
05-10-2012, 06:12 AM
One of my favorite perchers is the wonderfully named TYRANNUS TYRANNUS! This picture was taken the other day with the Canon 7D and 70-300L at 300mm. iso400, 1/1250, f7.1 and you are looking at roughly 75% of the original...

Before I joined this forum I would compose shots like this quite often. Then I joined this forum and I've learned that the general consensus is to leave room where the bird is looking. Put another way: avoid compositions like this one! But folks, I've gotta be me! I won't insult anyone's intelligence by telling you that this picture and its composition please me deeply. After all, who in their right mind would post a picture they disliked? I post it now to hear your comments and criticisms, which I welcome heartily. This is one fine forum and there is so much to learn!

In case you haven't already guessed: this picture was composed thusly out of necessity. i.e. branches on one side, people on the other, a kingbird just about to fly away. But I'm glad it worked out this way...

Many thanks for your consideration!

gail bisson
05-10-2012, 06:21 AM
Jack, you crack me up. You must be on excellent drugs!!:bg3::bg3: I must get me some...
Actually, I think this picture works because the branch is so long and fills some of the space on the left. I really like the BG in this shot with the OOF wispy tree. I would clone out the little black bug under the branch to the left of the tail and do a bit more NR on the BG. I would also try to brighten the tail by dodging it a bit at (~ 18% opacity, my personal favorite).
I just wish that the kingbird was looking a tiny bit more towards you
Gail

Joe Senzatimore
05-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Rules are made to be broken , and many times it works. Not sure it works in this image. Of course it is a subjective matter. I like the image as an environmental rendering , but I just feel it needs some room for the bird to look into.

Jack Breakfast
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Gail, I'm high on birds. Thanks for the comments...I'll take yr advice RE the tail burn. It's a whizbang suggestion, to be sure. I long for more and more and more from you beautiful and silly birdfiends!

laurie golden
05-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Jack,

This is a nice Kingbird. You might take this opportunity to try something out of the box or with words. A kaleidoscope of birds or an appropriate line of words marching along the branch to the bird. Or just keep exposing us to unusual photos.

Daniel Cadieux
05-10-2012, 07:02 PM
OK, you seem to like strange compositions, and that is fine...but this one just has too much space top and bottom IMO. Head angled away is unfortunate. Good techs and sharp. Just playing around here, but how do you like this alternative version?

Jack Breakfast
05-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks Daniel, I like it but I like the original more. Can't thank you enough for putting some time in...yours is very nice but I like space...always space and lots of it...thanks again for the comments, fine folks