PDA

View Full Version : Theme From the Reject Bin....

Arthur Morris
05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, not exactly from the reject pile but not one of the images that first caught my eye. Those are usually optimized while I am on the road.

This Japanese Red-crowned Crane image was created at Tsurui Itoh Sanctuary, Hokkaido, Japan with the tripod-mounted Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens and the EOS-1D Mark IV. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/1250 sec. at f/5.6.

Central sensor (expand left and right) AI Servo/Rear Focus AF and re-compose. Click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2011/09/13/rear-focus-tutorial/) if you missed the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image for a larger version.

See a larger version of this image (by clicking on the photo) in the "Nature's Best Image Quiz" blog post here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/05/08/natures-best-image-quiz/).

Don't be shy; all honest comments welcome.

Tom Rambaut
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
From memory I like this better than the other ones you posted - there is something about the quite different poses of the two cranes that I like. I Like the falling snow. Is there any more detail in the whites?

Thanks Tom. Except for the whites at the ends of the wings of the rear bird (that are about 245), the WHITEs come in at about 230. I would not expect much fine feather detail in a white bird that is 104.986877 yards away (more than a football field) when viewed through a heavy snow squall. :)

Joe Senzatimore
05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Love the pose and the setting. I too would like to see some more detail in the whites.

gail bisson
05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
The pose of the rear crane is , as you say, "killer". The falling snow adds a nice environmental feel to the shot. Why do the whites of the front bird look detail-less? Is it the falling snow? I say clone out the lead bird and let the rear bird shine on his own! He would look great as a vertical. I hope that is not too radical a thought,
Gail

Randy Stout
05-10-2012, 06:52 AM
Artie:

It looks like a crane parade to me. Love the varied positions, esp. the right bird.

Snowy environment works well.

Agree about the detail in the whites. I am at work, monitor not great on bleeding edge whites, but I would hope to see a bit more. Obviously the contrast was very low, with no directional lighting to help the feather detail pop.

Cheers

Randy

Ofer Levy
05-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I LOVE this shot and think it is one of your best that I have seen. Although technically not perfect (bird on the left isn't sharp, I can't see any fine detail in the white of both birds) I still think this image is a KILLER. The dance poses, falling snow, the way they walk as if dancing together - make it such a powerful image IMHO. If anything, would crop off the bottom as there is too much OOF FG, and balance by cropping off the top to make it a pano. I would consider turning this into a Digital Creation masterpiece.

Michael Stern
05-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Artie,
Excellent Image! The implied motion really makes it for me!!!
The only thing I would do is take a little off the canvass on the right side and add a little to the left side...
Otherwise...a fun image!
Mike

Daniel Cadieux
05-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Just as the winter starts to be a distant memory for this year you post this image!:S3: I agree the front bird looks soft compared to the rear bird, but man I love the play of movement between the two indivuals. The perfect amount of snow falling. Excellent "theme" image.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
It is definately an awesome image. Lack of detail in the whites noted but the falling snow and amazing poses over ride that for me.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Love the pose and the setting. I too would like to see some more detail in the whites.

Thanks Joe. See my comments on the WHITEs in Pane 2.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2012, 08:14 AM
The pose of the rear crane is , as you say, "killer". The falling snow adds a nice environmental feel to the shot. Why do the whites of the front bird look detail-less? Is it the falling snow? I say clone out the lead bird and let the rear bird shine on his own! He would look great as a vertical. I hope that is not too radical a thought. Gail

It is quite radical as for me the image is about the courtship, the interaction between the two birds. Yes on the falling snow and the distance; see additional comments on the WHITEs in Pane 2.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Artie: It looks like a crane parade to me. Love the varied positions, esp. the right bird. Snowy environment works well. Agree about the detail in the whites. I am at work, monitor not great on bleeding edge whites, but I would hope to see a bit more. Obviously the contrast was very low, with no directional lighting to help the feather detail pop. Cheers Randy

Thanks Randy. See my comments on the WHITEs in Pane 2. At times a good photograph might be about more than fine detail. I entered this in this year's Nature's Best Contest. We will see what the judge's think. :)

Arthur Morris
05-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I LOVE this shot and think it is one of your best that I have seen. Although technically not perfect (bird on the left isn't sharp, I can't see any fine detail in the white of both birds) I still think this image is a KILLER. The dance poses, falling snow, the way they walk as if dancing together - make it such a powerful image IMHO. If anything, would crop off the bottom as there is too much OOF FG, and balance by cropping off the top to make it a pano. I would consider turning this into a Digital Creation masterpiece.

Thanks Ofer. I am pretty sure that the birds are on different planes thus the front bird being less sharp. I'd be fine with a second version with a crop from the bottom though not sure why a pano crop would make it a "Digital Creation masterpiece." Please explain.

Arthur Morris
05-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Just as the winter starts to be a distant memory for this year you post this image!:S3: I agree the front bird looks soft compared to the rear bird, but man I love the play of movement between the two indivuals. The perfect amount of snow falling. Excellent "theme" image.

Thanks Dan. I am pretty sure that the birds were on different planes.

Ofer Levy
05-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks Ofer. I am pretty sure that the birds are on different planes thus the front bird being less sharp. I'd be fine with a second version with a crop from the bottom though not sure why a pano crop would make it a "Digital Creation masterpiece." Please explain.
Hi Artie, my crop suggestion has nothing to do with my other suggestion to turn this into Digital Creation work. The mentioned technical issues should kill this image for photographers at your level and it won't qualify to enter any decent competition. However, since the behaviour and placement in the frame is so lovely I would try to manipulate it into DC and that will justify keeping it.

Arthur Morris
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi Artie, my crop suggestion has nothing to do with my other suggestion to turn this into Digital Creation work. The mentioned technical issues should kill this image for photographers at your level and it won't qualify to enter any decent competition. However, since the behaviour and placement in the frame is so lovely I would try to manipulate it into DC and that will justify keeping it.

Thanks for getting back to me. But, this is what you wrote above:

"I LOVE this shot and think it is one of your best that I have seen. Although technically not perfect (bird on the left isn't sharp, I can't see any fine detail in the white of both birds) I still think this image is a KILLER. The dance poses, falling snow, the way they walk as if dancing together - make it such a powerful image IMHO. If anything, would crop off the bottom as there is too much OOF FG, and balance by cropping off the top to make it a pano. I would consider turning this into a Digital Creation masterpiece."

I just re--read it. There are no "other suggestions." Thus I am still confused as to what you wrote..... Please explain.

Arthur Morris
11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Just for the record books :):

Nature's Best 2012 Contest Results for the image above:

Highly Honored
Endangered Species
Red-crowned Cranes
Tsurui Itoh Sanctuary, Hokkaido, Japan
by Arthur Morris
Indian Lakes Estates, Florida, USA