Ken Watkins
05-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Lovely use of spotlight in excellent sighting , VWD
TFS

Plus one from me.

So much better than using flash!

Craig Kerr
05-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Lovely image Dumay, agree with Ken and Harshad the spot light produced a nice warm light, detail is excellent too... Did you hand hold that 500mm at 1/80 ??

Rachel Hollander
05-10-2012, 06:05 AM
Dumay - nicely done. Effective use of spot and the comp works very well.

TFS,
Rachel

Dumay de Boulle
05-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Thanks guys. Dont think spotlight images are too well liked/critted on BPN...It was a great sighting . Craig it was rested on a bean bag!

Ken Watkins
05-11-2012, 01:30 AM
Dont think spotlight images are too well liked/critted on BPN...

Not to sure where you get this idea from, I for one certainly prefer any form of lighting than flash. Spotlight can be more difficult, but it produces more subtle and natural looking images, as is the case here.

Dumay de Boulle
05-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Ken what I mean is that I have posted a few spotlight images and always seem to get fewer views and comments than my other images. Sorry , I should have been more clear!

Ken Watkins
05-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Ken what I mean is that I have posted a few spotlight images and always seem to get fewer views and comments than my other images. Sorry , I should have been more clear!

Thanks for the clarification, I have no explanation to offer, I really love them

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi Dumay, well based on the 'techs' this is quite a remarkable image, both in terms of SS & ISO, wouldn't like to go to 2000 on the MKIII, but this looks good. I think you can afford to open the face up a fraction more and I might just slightly darken the bottom LH corner, toning down the bolder, bring more emphasis back to the Leopard. There is a slight tint/cast to the white of the fur, but I would leave it otherwise the whites will start to get too hot. Is the black as is (as shot), it's even across the whole BKG in terms of colour value and is not a 'solid' black? Personally I think it was a good call to keep the grasses in LHS, just seems to give more gravitas to the image & how it was shot.

Personally not a great lover of these shots, purely because of what it is, but as you know I much prefer this to seeing flash used.

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
05-11-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks Steve. The cast is probably due to the yellow in the spotlight. The black is as shot, it could be some of the light reflecting off parts of the BG which makes it uneven. I know you feelings re spotlight, I feel the same but its the done thing on the reserve I work (I use a weaker globe in my spotlight)

Steve Kaluski
05-11-2012, 08:20 AM
The black is as shot, it could be some of the light reflecting off parts of the BG which makes it uneven.

Actually it's pretty even as per my comment, hence why I asked, so thanks for the update. Red filters don't offer the same look for images :bg3:

Dumay de Boulle
05-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Sorry Steve I misread it!

Andreas Liedmann
05-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi Dumay
like this one,great IQ under the circumstances you took the picture.Agree with Steve about the whites and the termite mound ? in front.I am generally also not a friend of spotlight shooting,but this one works.comp works well too.

Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
I too prefer the spot-lit look to flash-lit look...a good compromise is a proper OCF (off-camera flash) bracket which I use from time to time when a spotlight isn't available or the folks on the vehicle don't know how to use the spotlight properly for photography.

This is very well lit, Dumay, and well exposed too. I like the tight comp and the oodles of detail in the face/eyes.:cheers:

Steve Canuel
05-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Nicely composed image, I like the curve of its side and how it ties in with the mound in the LC. Also like the single stalk of grass up left.

Stu Bowie
05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Hi mate, excellent lighting and exposure on the leopard, and I really like the colours from the result. DOF perfect showing up the head nicely, and pops so well against the dark BG.