PDA

View Full Version : Robberfly.

Jim Bridges
05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
A friend found this robberfly at the edge of the bottomland forest and prairie last week at Brazos Bend SP and I made a few photos before it flew away. They ambush other insects (dragonflies, butterflies, and other robber flies) from these perches in the trees as they fly into the grassland prairie to feed.

D80, Tamron AF 180/3.5, ISO 100, F5, SS 1/50s, AF focus on the face, tripod, PP NX 2.

Jerry van Dijk
05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Very interesting species, Jim. It almost looks like a bee mimic. I would have liked a bit more DOF.

Mat Bingham
05-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Agree with Jerrys comment. I find the lighter area above the fly a little distracting.

Ken Childs
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Robberflies are scary looking bugs and I suppose that's especially true for other bugs!
I would also like to see more DOF but the really important areas are sharp so this one definitely has merit. There's a streak of something in the BG just above and to the right of the flies' head that should be cloned away or painted over and I agree the brighter yellow area near the upper center is a bit distracting but that can be easily fixed. Grab some of the darker green and with a soft brush at about 20%, paint over the yellow. I bet all it will take is a pass or 2.

Jim Bridges
05-11-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions! I would have loved to get more time to work on this guy and try different camera settings for DOF,but they don't set still for too long...maybe I'll see another next trip.:S3:

Steve Maxson
05-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Jim. Robber flies are very cool - I wish we had more of them up this way as they make great macro subjects. This one is a bumble bee mimic and appears to be in the Genus Laphria (possibly Laphria grossa). I like the natural lighting and you have good sharpness around the head where you most need it. Like the others, I would wish for more DOF. As you were using a tripod, you might have increased your ISO to 400 which would have given you 2 more f/stops of DOF - just something to keep in mind the next time out. :S3: I hope to see more shots of these guys.

Jim Bridges
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Jim. Robber flies are very cool - I wish we had more of them up this way as they make great macro subjects. This one is a bumble bee mimic and appears to be in the Genus Laphria (possibly Laphria grossa). I like the natural lighting and you have good sharpness around the head where you most need it. Like the others, I would wish for more DOF. As you were using a tripod, you might have increased your ISO to 400 which would have given you 2 more f/stops of DOF - just something to keep in mind the next time out. :S3: I hope to see more shots of these guys.

Thanks Steve! If I find some I'll be sure to post them. I've got one more I shot that morning of a different kind that I'll post this weekend... still PP. They are one of the coolest bugs I shoot at Brazos Bend SP.