PDA

View Full Version : Worm-eating Warbler

Alan Murphy
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Worm-eating Warbler

Workshop: Galveston, TX

D800, 600, ISO 800, f10, 1/400.

Always a show stopper when these guys drop down to my water drip.

jack williamson
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
The bird is well positioned and very sharp, I like the perch and bg. I have never seen this bird. Thanks.

Jack

Grace Scalzo
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
What an image....love the look back pose from this great bird and the pods are interesting. What are they? Thinking locust of some variety?

Don Nelson
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Looks like a great pose on mesquite branch. These pods were gathered by natives (at least in Arizona and New Mexico), dried and pounded into flour.
Outstanding

ali azadi
05-08-2012, 04:39 PM
exposure,perch,BG,pose and light and... in your photos are unique
your work is admirable:S3:

John Chardine
05-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi Alan- I really want to see one of these one day! Never did in my days at Point Pelee! Love everything about the image except for the green/yellow cast. I am fine with colour casts produced by the ambient light but this seems too much to me. I did a quick colour correction in LAB colour and moved the middle slider in Levels a little to the right.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Alan, great image design. awesome perch, you've chosen. loved the pose and the DOF coverage.

dankearl
05-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Alan, I was going to comment on the green caste, I have the D800, and it is a feature of the camera which is recurrent.
John's repost looks better, are you seeing the same thing?
The photo is really good, your usual very nice settings.

Carmelo Cannova
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Beautiful image Alan. The perch is very unique and the pose is very nice.

Alan Murphy
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Alan, I was going to comment on the green caste, I have the D800, and it is a feature of the camera which is recurrent.
John's repost looks better, are you seeing the same thing?
The photo is really good, your usual very nice settings.

Hey Dan, Looking at John's repost, I do see mine with a cast. I also see john's repost with some magenta. Maybe somewhere in between.
I believe the green issue in the D800 is on the LCD screen and not on the files?

I appreciate the input.

Peter Dexter
05-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice photo and neat bird. Always one of the first to sing in Missouri's hollows. Agree looks like locust leaves and thorns. I too was uncomfortable with the lighting/color and think John's version is an improvement though I'd reduce the brightness even on that.

Peter Dexter
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Nice photo and neat bird. Always one of the first to sing in Missouri's hollows. I didn't know they were as far West as Texas. I too was uncomfortable with the lighting/color and think John's version is an improvement though I'd reduce the brightness even on that.

arash_hazeghi
05-09-2012, 01:37 AM
excellent pose and details and a nice settings. The original has a very subtle green cast but the repost has a strong magenta cast.

TFS

John Chardine
05-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes I probably overdid the correction a bit. Just as I was working on the image the recurring problem of colour-shift in Save for Web and Devices occurred.

The image is hard to diagnose because there is little neutral tone. If you run an average blur on the whole image, the A channel of LAB = -9.5 and B = +41.8, indicating a quantitatively much more yellow tone (positive value in B) then green (negative in A). A yellow cast can be caused by warm light and a green cast by reflection from green foliage, both of which are natural, and I wouldn't necessarily correct for these because they are natural. Values for the average blur of my repost are A = +1.3, B = +29.0, indicating slightly on the magenta side of neutral (positive A), and a lot less yellow.

In hindsight, I think a better correction would be to tackle the yellow and bring it down some, recognising the warm light. This is what I've done in this repost. The Magenta-Green channel (A) was not touched. Note that the light tones in the undertail coverts are now running about neutral (A close to 0, B close to 0).

Let's see if I've fixed my Save for Web and Devices colour shift.

PS- I'll also note that our visual perceptual system can play tricks on us. If you fix on the OP for some time, you start to get used to the colour. If you then go to my first repost, the magenta jumps out. If you do the reverse, the yellow/green really jumps out of the OP. Try it. There is no substitute for running the numbers using a colour meter (in my case Digital Color Meter on the Mac) rather than relying on what you are looking at.

Jim Crosswell
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Great image Alan! I like the pose, perch, DOF, IQ and composition.

Carl Day
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Another cracker Alan. I think the original post looks pretty spot on. I love the bird looking back and eye contact, not so keen on the perch though if I'm honest.

Best Regards
Carl.

Alan Murphy
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
John, very interesting. Your second reposr is better, but I'm still seeing a very slight blue/green cast. A difficult image to nail for sure. It was photographed in late evening sun. Thanks for your work on the reposts.

John Chardine
05-09-2012, 04:34 PM
It is Alan, and I've learned a lot myself, playing with it. Ultimately, if the image on a calibrated display or printer looks like you remember it, then that is the ultimate test.

Robert Holguin
05-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Excellent shot. Love the pose and perch. Wonderful background and excellent feather detail.
Well done.