PDA

View Full Version : Cabin in the Yukon

Gayle Clement
04-15-2008, 03:54 PM
I attended a Nikonian Digital Workflow workshop in San Francisco this past weekend and we were able to print our photos on a variety of paper. I was really pleased with the way this one looked on both canvas and fine art paper. Each flower in the foreground was detailed and crisp. I hope it still looks good in such a small size and low res.

Comments and critique welcome and appreciated.

Carcross, Yukon Territory
Nikon D70
Nikkor 24-120mm VR
1/125s f/22.0 at 24.0mm
Matrix metering
Aperture priority

Harold Davis
04-15-2008, 04:55 PM
gayle, that is fantastic!! love everything about it!!!

Roman Kurywczak
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Gayle,
I had a couple of ideas........so i took it onto PS and played with this one. I do realize that the small screen doesn't show off the flowers as much as I'm sure they would be more impactful on a print. This is just a few things you may want to try. I cropped from the bottom to make more of a pano. I brough out a little SH on the FG......as it was a little dark on my monitor. April pop photo tecqnique on the sky....and lastly the RADK (new acronym for Robert Amoruso & David Kennedy) local contrast enhancement. It definitely pops on my monitor.......so let me know what you think.
As is........I think you have captured a very pleasing scene........ and all the above stuff............is just tweaking to personal preferences. You might not like them......and that's ok! These are just ideas to give you in case you would like to try them.
Roman
PS Maybe I'm just enthralled with a new trick!!!

Stephen Stephen
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Well done Gayle.

Roman has provided you with a few possible options. I'm not sure that I like the crop off the bottom though. The far left bunch of flowers got removed and I'd prefer to see them close off that corner of the image.

Grady Weed
04-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Gayle, I think the mid range exposure between your original and Romans re-do might be the right exposure. But it is yours. A fine image.

gary rouleau
04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Gayle change nothing. I love it, its what the Yukon is really like.

Robert Amoruso
04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
The only thing I might do to Gayle's original is open up the shadows in the cabin and trees a bit but I am very happy with the image. Great feel to it. I like the soft tones and light. The crop works great IMO.

Roman has some nice tweaks to it but I like the original as presented. Nice work.

Gus Cobos
04-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Gayle,
Fantastic image, love everything about it...:D

Gayle Clement
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Thank you so much for the comments. Roman's suggestions helped me to see that the trees in the center of the image need to be lightened a bit to open the shadows. I'll do that on the next prints and leave the crop as it. Again, thanks for the help.