PDA

View Full Version : Influenced by comments and names?

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Looking at the posts on many image critique forums I always see many similar posts which shows new commenters are heavily influenced by the previous comments. It is, of course, hard to decide whether it could have been identical before reading the folks' post. I personally really would like to see a forum tool where only the image is visible without the name of the thread originator and the comments received. That could bring many interesting results.;)

I try to force myself to reply first then going through the comments. That's why a quick reply window would be nice just under the main post to be able to answer immediately.

How do you see it guys?

Szimi

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 08:05 AM
I can't speak for anyone else but I enjoy reading the comments. I think priorities and approaches differ slightly and this should help even more since it forces the original poster to compare and form his/her own opinion.

Christoph Belanger
01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Interesting idea, but I think names should be hidden (with an option to view) not anonymous.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Interesting idea, but I think names should be hidden (with an option to view) not anonymous.

Sorry I was wrong. Of course I meant to be hidden. I don't like anonymous things neither.;)
Szimi

Fabs Forns
01-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Interesting point.

Comments are very valuable as learning tools, if for nothing else and even if we don't agree, it will make us think. By thinking, we grow.

The names usually serve for the purpose of validation. It is human nature to give more credit to a comment made a pro versus an unknown person. This may not be fair, but it is what it is.

And yes, once a flaw has been pointed out, it influences the rest of the comments, maybe that flaw could have gone unseen until pointed out.

I never get tired of saying that comments are VERY VALUABLE as a learning tool, and more so to the person making the comment.

Steve Foss
01-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I always read the comments first to make sure I'm not spending a lot of time typing something everyone else already has mentioned. It also allows me to fine tune my critique by seeing if something has been missed by the other posters, and also allows me to very occasionally disagree with a portion of a critique already offered (but only if I feel very strongly about it and always politely.)

Sven Bernert
01-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm with Fabs (above), I learned quite a bit from reading other peoples thoughts on other peoples images (I'm still learning something every time I visit the forums). This and my own shootings are my two main sources for learning. And as others have also noted I try to read all the other posts (no matter who left the comment) before I leave a comment. Commenting on other peoples work also helps me to better define my own stuff. A lot actually.

The above is for picture threads. On discussion threads I tend to quickly skim through the comments of people that I have somehow "identified" as knowledgeable person before. It's a time thing.

Best,
Sven

Robert Amoruso
01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I learn each time I read the other comments and see things that I would not have necessarily noticed initially. Sometimes my comments only mimic the others and that OK as it validates to the image poster that previous comments are shared by others.

Andrew McCullough
01-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I look at an image, formulate my opinion in my mind and then read the other comments. I learn from this process. I enjoy seeing the other comments.

Jim Neiger
01-05-2008, 12:09 PM
I look at an image, formulate my opinion in my mind and then read the other comments. I learn from this process. I enjoy seeing the other comments.

I do the same thing. Since BPN started I've noticed that my comments have almost always already been mentioned by others and oft6en they have noticed things that I missed.

On other photo forum sites this was not the case. Usualy it was just positive comments with little or no useful advice. That was good for the ego, but not so good for improving and learning.

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Ttrue, learning from the comments is a huge benefit of any of the forums (expect the offensive ones). I do it all the time. I just don't do this step first. I think if I repeat something already written down means I didn't read the comments before I left mine. That should not be a problem. If I missed to identify an obvious flaw on the image but others did I can learn from it. It happens many times with my images to be posted. I am many emotionally affected by my images which sometimes takes my strict eyes from the errors. ;)

The main thing is that most of us read others' responses to be able to make ours more accurate. I guess I learned again something. Great Team! <heart>

Szimi

Peter Hawrylyshyn
01-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Part of the problem may also be the speed of the server
I posted some comments today - a couple of times, by the time mine appeared, there were similar comments posted by others

cjhockett
01-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Writing a rough draft of your critique before viewing others comments will increase your learning curve as you acquire skill in becoming an objective observer. Has the BPN staff considered developing guidelines for a methodology of image critique? Say general guidelines that would standardize the process but not stifle creative input.

Arthur Morris
01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Szimi, If you click on the Quick Reply button just below and to the right of the image, it will take you right to the quick reply box and you will have skipped the posts of others.

later and love, artie