PDA

View Full Version : Puffin against dark sky

Rosl Roessner
04-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Another one of my Puffin images...
I love those fantastic birds so much!

Made at Staple Island last summer. We had a lot of rain, but after the rain there was dark sky and beautiful sunlight.

Mark IIN / Canon 100-400 + 1.7 TC

Fabs Forns
04-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Ahhhh, very sweet, one of my fav birds too. I'm yet to get one with fish. The white feathers could use a little less sharpening.

Lance Warley
04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Beautiful, Rosl.

I hope I'm lucky enough to see one some day.

Steve Wheeler
04-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Lovely image... Would agree with Fabs on the sharpening.

I have never seen one of these guys in person, and chances are good I never will. Such beautiful birds... Such CHARACHTER in those faces!

A question... May seem silly but.... How do they get so many fish in thier bill at one time? Are they hitting schools while skimming the surface? Seems like it'd be tricky to accumulate that many live fish in one's bill at one time...

Thanks for sharing this image!

Steve

Harold Davis
04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
AWESOME!!!! love it.

Alfred Forns
04-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Puffin + fishes = Awesome !!! Plotting as we speak to get one !!!!

Love this image bg works very well and sets it well !! Agree on backing down the usm just a tad !!! Big Congrats !!!

Rosl Roessner
04-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Thank you for your gentle critique.

I am looking forward to my next puffin-visit in July on Iceland !!!! I have only a few days for the puffins, but I am sure, I'll love it!

@ Steve: the puffins have some barbs on their tongue and tre inner side of the upper bill. That's why they can catch a fish, store it safely in their beak and go for the next.... The established puffin record in caught fishes is at 60 fishes in one dive!

Grady Weed
04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Fabs mentioned the one minor problem. Frame it and hang it! Puffins are especially beautiful. I have made the trip 3 times and will do so again this July as well.

Jim Poor
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Awesome. I hope to see one of these one day.

Arthur Morris
04-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Hi Rosl, This is very nice but I do believe that it could have been better optimized... The head angle, the compostion, the EXP, and of course, the fish, are all great. There are however, lots of shadowed areas without detail, most noticeably the feathers on the neck and the shadowed areas between the fishes. You could paint a quick mask or use Select/Color/Shadows (and then feather that selection) and follow that up with either a Curves or a Shadow/Highlight Adustment.

Kaushik Balakumar
04-16-2008, 02:54 AM
excellent details, colour & exposure...
liked everything about it.

TFS.

Steve Wheeler
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
@Rosl.... Thanks! I didn't know that about the barbs!

60 fish at one time... HOLY MOLY! WHATA MOUTH FULL!

Steve

Marko Matesic
04-16-2008, 03:57 PM
wow Rosl...very sweet image :)