05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Back yard feeder / set up

1D MKIV
700mm
IS0 1600
f/5.6
1/250
580 EXII / Better Beamer 1/64 power manual mode

Removed flash catchlight and a small stub on the perch at the lower left end, Topaz Denoise on BG

Jeff Cashdollar
05-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Joel,

Vertical crop is well positioned and the HA and eye are spot on. The regal pose is sweet another solid shot Joel. The background light is alright with me but could be smoothed to make the image stronger. The image is sharp, detailed and has a warm feel, simple elements telling a story - this is really nice Joel.

Kerry Perkins
05-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Hi Joel, big positives for me in this image are the presence of the field marks and the illustration of the tail being used for stability. Very well done, all the techs are spot on. Nice use of the flash with beamer, I would however remove the small catchlight in the eye. Well done!

Shreeni Rao
05-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Beautiful pose. Isnt this a Male Downy Woodpecker ? or are they the same ?

Joel Eade
05-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Beautiful pose. Isnt this a Male Downy Woodpecker ? or are they the same ?

Thanks Shreeni....this is a male Hairy Woodpecker.

The Downy has similar markings but is a much smaller bird. The bill of the Downy is much shorter as well, usually less than 1/2 the size of the head from front to back.

mohibahmad
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Joel - Really sharp and very well composed image. Also thanks for clarifying the differences between the Hairy and Downy woodpeckers. I would have thought of this as Downy as well.

Mohib