PDA

View Full Version : Camera strap dilemma

Mat Bingham
05-06-2012, 09:02 AM
I have been using the camera strap that came with my canon 7d but find it is alway sliding off my shoulder. I normally have a 300mm lens and flashgun attached. Can you suggest an alternative strap I could use which would mean it doesn't keep coming off my shoulder and is comfortable to carry. I live in the uk so any shops where I could buy any recommended straps would be great fully appreciated. Mat:S3:

John Chardine
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi Mat- I just got a Blackrapid RS-7 strap and I love it. I carry around my 1DIV and 400DO all day with no problems. Have a look on their website and you will see how it works.

Jim Kranick
05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
+1

I use a Blackrapid RS-7 with my 7D and 100-400. Strap on my left shoulder crossing over to the camera/lens on my right hip. Attach the strap to the foot of the lens and it just sits by my hip.

Steve Uffman
05-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Ditto, Wonderful strap and very comfortable. If Chas Glatzer can weigh in, he can give you another part to add that comes from Right Stuff..The screw on the strap goes into the clamp, and then the clamp attaches to the bracket on the camera. Essentially the clamp allows to you to instantly install or remove the strap. Very handy set up..

Doug Schurman
05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Ditto, Wonderful strap and very comfortable. If Chas Glatzer can weigh in, he can give you another part to add that comes from Right Stuff..The screw on the strap goes into the clamp, and then the clamp attaches to the bracket on the camera. Essentially the clamp allows to you to instantly install or remove the strap. Very handy set up..

I carry my 500 F4 with the Black Rapid Strap and use an Arca-swiss clamp from Jobu (probably similar to what Chas uses)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611828-REG/Jobu_Design_QRR_138_QRR_138_Quick_Release_Clamp.ht ml

It work really well. I can shoot handheld with the strap around my neck and shoulder or quickly remove it clamp it down on the Gimbal.

I also use a Cotton Carrier for a second camera and either 400 f5.6 or the 70-200 f2.8 plus extender. To manage my binocs I use a side holster for them on the left hip. It works well.

Doug

Steve Uffman
05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Doug's system with the Arca -swiss style clamp is the same as I use and Chas recommends....great combination.

I also use the spider holster for a second camera. Works very well except when you are trying to get a real low POV with the primary camera. if I have a 70-200+, plus hood, plus TC on my hip in the holster, I have to be careful when kneeling not to plant it in the mud or water.....Came close to planting the second camera a few times in Alaska shooting bears.....

Mat Bingham
05-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Thank you for your replies. I will have a look at the RS-7

Richard Stern
05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi,

I too recently got a Black Rapid strap, and now it's my go-to method for carrying my gear. I's screwed into the tripod collar (Kirk Arca Swiss style) on my Nikon 300 F4 with 1.7TC attached, on D7000. However, there is also a good alternative if you prefer your gear slung over 1 shoulder and not crossing the chest - that's the Up-Strap (google it), which has a nice rubberised panel that seems to stick well to all clothing surfaces, and which doesn't slip off even a leather jacket.

Richard

Robert Stermer
05-09-2012, 08:54 PM
I have a Crumpler strap, "The Industry Disgrace" which I like a lot. You might take a look at it as well.