PDA

View Full Version : Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia)

Derek Willcox
05-05-2012, 05:59 PM
i have not been out since coming back from broken hill so i went out to homebush to see what was out there and came across this lone royal in a drainage area would like some feedback
Date Time Original: 2012:05:05 07:20:31
Full frame
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens Model: EF600mm f/4L IS USM
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Exposure Time: 1 / 320
FNumber: 7.1
Focal Length: 600
ISO Speed Ratings: 1000
Metering Mode: Pattern
added canvas L/S and bottom used CS6 Beta for content aware and used CS5.1 for level and sharpening adjustments and Color Efex Pro 4

jack williamson
05-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Very good exposure and sharp. The eye is very good. The head is probably too close to the top and you will get beat up about not leaving room at the bottom for the feet.

Jack

Derek Willcox
05-05-2012, 09:53 PM
thanks jack yes it needs more leg room i couldn't back up any more it was one of them times when a 600mm wasn't useful

Randy Stout
05-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Derek:

I love the detail in the bill, texture in feathers, orange eye brow.

I am OK room on top (although close) but agree with Jack about more room below (in a perfect world)

I would consider some clone stamp work on the gray area intersecting the back. I wold also look at the brightness of the leaves behind the head, consider toning them (and their reflection) down a bit.

How are you liking the MKIII overall?

Cheers

Randy

Derek Willcox
05-05-2012, 10:42 PM
thanks randy you picked up most of the faults i could see thank you this outing was the first time out with mrk III still getting used to it seen about how good the AF is in AI servo but this time with BIF i didn't get a one but that was probley me i normally use a 1d iv i think it might need a bit of af adjustment

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2012, 09:14 AM
I know hindsight is always 50-50, and I wasn't there to see the conditions you had, but you could have created some verticals with some of the body cut out. You would have had enough room top and bottom, and the rock at right would have been left out too. Anyhow, great looking spoonbill, very sharp as posted, and love the face. Well exposed too.

Derek Willcox
05-06-2012, 03:37 PM
thank you daniel i have verticals but even they are a bit tight in the frame side ti side