PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel Shorebird

Roger Williams
05-05-2012, 04:16 PM
This image was taken along the Sanibel shoreline in late February of this year. I'm uncertain as to the species and opinions have included a Sanderling, Semi-palmated Sandpiper and Black-bellied Plover. A correct ID would be appreciated along with comments/crits regarding the image.

Techs: 7D, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 2x, ISO 250, 1/640 @ f/6.3 + 1, hand-held, full frame

laurie golden
05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Sanderling, in my opinion. I like the low angle and the white on white. Nice that you got so close.

jack williamson
05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I am not much help with shorebird ID. This is a nice image but I think it would look better if the exposure was lowered just a bit on the body, it is getting a little lost in the bg.

Jack

Shawn Zierman
05-05-2012, 10:25 PM
The bird is a sanderling Roger :)
I enjoy the limited color/light palette on this one, while still maintaing some pleasing white/black contrast on the subject.
You also did a pretty good job commiting to the low angle.
The bits of sand on the bill are a good detail to this image. Bird is a bit big in the frame imo.
Would love to have seen what a little fill flash would have done for the image....

Daniel Cadieux
05-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Exposure looks good, and I'm OK with the bright on bright element of the image. Big in the frame thoug, and I would have preferred both a lower angle and better body/head angle.

Peter Dexter
05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I agree that the crop is too tight.

Roger Williams
05-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the comments and ID. Its virtually a full frame image and I realize its overly tight. I may add some additional canvas 'cause I rather like the shot.