PDA

View Full Version : Little Yellow Sulpher

Jim Bridges
05-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Made this one of a Little Yellow Sulpher on a morning walk in the grassland prairie at Brazos Bend SP earlier this week.D80Tamron AF 180/3.5 MacroISO 100F5.6SS 250Manual focustripodPP Nikon NX 2112506

Jerry van Dijk
05-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Wonderful light on this beautiful butterfly Jim! Great BG as well. The greens compliment the yellow of the butterfly. Good sharpness and detail. If this were mine, I'd probably go for a square crop, cropping from the top. I feel there's a little too much empty space on top.

Jim Bridges
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Wonderful light on this beautiful butterfly Jim! Great BG as well. The greens compliment the yellow of the butterfly. Good sharpness and detail. If this were mine, I'd probably go for a square crop, cropping from the top. I feel there's a little too much empty space on top.
That's a great idea Jerry I hadn't thought of that, thanks!

Steve Maxson
05-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Jim. There's a lot to like about this one - the butterfly gave you an excellent pose in great light against a clean background. You also have good overall sharpness and the water droplets add interest. On my monitor, it looks like you are losing some detail in the yellows (a common issue with yellows and reds), particularly on the forewings, and you might try backing off a little on the saturation/vibrance/luminance to see it that helps. That would be a minor tweak to a strong image. :S3:

Jim Bridges
05-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Jim. There's a lot to like about this one - the butterfly gave you an excellent pose in great light against a clean background. You also have good overall sharpness and the water droplets add interest. On my monitor, it looks like you are losing some detail in the yellows (a common issue with yellows and reds), particularly on the forewings, and you might try backing off a little on the saturation/vibrance/luminance to see it that helps. That would be a minor tweak to a strong image. :S3:

Thanks Steve I really appreciate the comment and suggestions...I'll give it a try.:bg3:

Mat Bingham
05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Good photo. Only comment would be to reduce the brightness of the yellow.

OvidiuCavasdan
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Good sharpnes and beautiful colors onBF and BG. Agree about working a bit on yellows. Square crop would work fine also. Nice one!

Ken Childs
05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Jim, I really like the sharpness, the colors of the BG and that shot of blue in the water drop is an added bonus! I do agree that the yellows of the 'fly are a step or 2 over the top. As Steve mentioned, it's easy in digital photography to end up with overly saturated yellows and reds. They can come out of the camera already overdone and many standard adjustments will increase the brightness and saturation of these colors. I also think Jerry is on to something with the square crop. Fortunately all of these PP suggestions are easy to follow so you should have no trouble making this shot shine!

Jim Bridges
05-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks so much for the comments everyone...great suggestions!