PDA

View Full Version : The Kiss: Lower Antelope Canyon - Page, Arizona #2

Jay Gould
05-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Going through the slot canyons offers the opportunity to really "let go - swing" with your creativity. Looking for colors and angles I walked around looking through the live view LCD to find the next and the next and the next image to create before putting the camera on my tripod. When I saw these two structures I thought of The Kiss.

Many more slot images to be processed!

Camera: 5D3
Capture date/time: 16 Apr 2012
Light condition: Filtered Sun
Lens: 24-105
Focal length: 105
Distance: 6.5m
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 8 sec
Aperture: f/4
Exp Comp:
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR Color Intensifier
Crop: none
Images Changes: Blend of two images; stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR4.1, CS5, NIK CEP4, TK Actions

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Andrew Aveley
05-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Great colours and composition here Jay...maybe just to tone down the 'brighter' section. Did you use focus bracketing here also on each image?

Morkel Erasmus
05-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Very interesting composition here Jay. With Andrew on toning down the brightest parts.
Are the strong red-magenta-purple hues how it really looked or just your interpretation of the scene? :e3

Rachel Hollander
05-06-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Jay - nicely composed and beautiful colors. Agree on toning down the brightest areas. There's a slight halo where the purple rock meets the light pink.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi Jay, I like this comp. Agree on toning down the bright sections. Look forward to seeing more!

Jay Gould
05-08-2012, 12:55 AM
There have been a lot of suggestions here and on Nature Scapes about the hot colors etc.

The colors in slot canyon are simply amazing. When I looked through my wife's G12 set to jpg; the purples, golds, reds, etc are all there screaming at you; when I looked thorough my camera using Live View I saw that strong purple, pink, and bright deep red on the left side.

I found it very interesting that the two forms of processing HDR - CS5 and NIK - resulted in such different versions; in fact, some other landscapes that I did including The Totem were so different that I completely discarded the CS5 version.

Here I used the NIK version of the left face and laid it over the CS5 version of the remainder of the image.

The pink spike is results from the pink center of the image. I have selected and placed each of the four parts of the image on separate layers; I have also selected each separate part of the image and significantly desaturated each part. Only the pink results in a change of the histogram spike.

Note that even with an enhancement of TK's Make It Glow, the histogram does not change as all I did was barely pop the red on the left.

Robert Amoruso
05-08-2012, 05:21 AM
I like the last post Jay showing the different processing methods and histograms.

Well done seeing and naming this image. It does look like a Kiss.

Hilary Hann
05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Very interesting explanation of how you worked the image and agree that the name is very apt. Amazing colours indeed.

Morkel Erasmus
05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the explanation of your thinking here, of the colours, and for elaborating on the processing, Jay! :5

Vivaldo Damilano
05-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Beautiful contrast and colors Jay. Very interesting processing tech's.