PDA

View Full Version : Getting stretched out before nesting - common loon wing flap

Randy Stout
05-03-2012, 09:19 PM
This loon was imaged in northern Michigan last weekend. I went up to check out the pre nesting activity. It was cold, 19 degrees the first morning, so the birds were pretty quiet. They got a little more active on the second day, a blistering 24 degrees when I hit the water !

Nikon D4 600VR f/5.0 ISO 640 pedestal mounted in bottom of my little boat.

Post: CS5 selective sharpening, detail extractor on breast, tonal contrast on wings. Cropped 15 % for comp.

Few spots in the water cleaned up.

Yeah, I know, head position off a bit. :tinysmile_shy_t: However, I really like the details that show in the back view of a loon when wing flapping, and liked the colors in the BG.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Jack Breakfast
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Psychedelic, man! That's one fun picture!

Troy Lim
05-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Randy, I love everything about this shot, from the moment, to the low angle, exposure and pleasing BG. Awesome!

christopher galeski
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
beautiful image from a different angle,nice soft lighting.well done.

Stu Bowie
05-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi Randy, I like this lots. Im fine with the angle as it shows off the wings very well, and I like the head tilted upwards. Well timed to get the full wingspread, but what really makes this image work are those amazing colours to the BG. I feel if you had any other BG, it wouldnt have worked.

Frank Schauf
05-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Nice position and colours.

Daniel Cadieux
05-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Really neat, and like Stuart I don't mind the HA here...hard to do otherwise for showing off these guys' back plumage. Great colours, and very nice comp. I'll just read your temperatures as Celcius...not bad at all that way!!

Mark Jones
05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Great work, Randy! The creamy background really compliments the incredible detail on the loon's wings. Well done!

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grace Scalzo
05-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Randy, wonderful, artistic view of this and a great way to start off your loon season. I like how the salmon color of the background looks like it's radiating up from each wing. Quite rare that this head angle works, but here it is part of the image.

gail bisson
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
Hi Randy,
What a great shot to start the 2012 season! HA not even an issue here. The symmetrical wing exposure is great and the BG is "to die for". I like the reflection lines on the back of head as well and the composition you chose with the extra room on right. Well done,
Gail

Lorant Voros
05-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Absolutely right all the comments. Very pleasing image where we can't talk about HA problem. Everything has been said. Fantastic image.

Kaustubh Deshpande
05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
What an incredible shot, Randy. well seen and executed. stunning low angle, pose and the FG/BG. wow...one of the best loon shots I've seen in a while.

if mine, I'd move the bird just a tiny bit lower and get a little more of those colors on top.

Randy Stout
05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate your input and comments!

Cheers

Randy

Gary Esman
05-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Gorgeous light, background, wings, low angle. very very nice.

Gary.

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Hey Randy.
HAP must be on vacation:bg3:.....love the bold colors and I am more than fine as presented! Excellent job!

Marina Scarr
05-05-2012, 07:41 PM
This is really a stellar capture, Randy, and I love the fact that it is unique in so many ways. My only issue is with the brightness. Here it is with an adjustment (multiply layer at 40% opacity). I am curious as to how you feel about this rendition. I was a little surprised that no one mentioned how bright your version was so would really like to know your opinion. Maybe something in between?

Randy Stout
05-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Marina:

I appreciate the repost, and generally do prefer darker images than my original post. Lots of my loon images are quite dark and moody. There was something about this one that made me feel that bright was the way to go, but I will try a version between our two. Always great to see alternative takes on ones images.

Cheers

Randy

Grady Weed
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Marinas re-post adds a bit Randy. Different versions for different audiences. You know me, love the darker ones. A perfect back shot here. Keep them coming.