PDA

View Full Version : Winter's Grip

Grady Weed
04-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Folks, this is cold! Wind chill was -20-30 below. You literally could not stand. I had to crawl back to my truck, which I parked about 50 yards away. My hands were near frostbite and my 28-135 lens froze and iced over the front glass. It took 30 minutes for me to warm up enough to drive without my teeth chattering. I don't ever want to be that cold again in my life. Once is enough. Robert & Roman can relate to this one I am sure.

I took this one early in my digital learning curve and it was done in jpeg not raw. So I am looking forward to a re-do, just not as cold! Canon EOS 20D, Shooting Date/Time 2/13/2006 03:32:49, Shutter Speed 1/60Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1/3, ISO 400, Lens 28-135mm, Focal Length 28.0 mm. Hand held due to wind, and not knowing any better. :D

Roman Kurywczak
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey Grady,
Mood is everythig in a landscape.......and you've captured it here! Maybe a slight CW rotation and see if you can bring up just the light beacon some. I was just thinking that next year I want to get up there in the winter to do exactly what you are doing with these. I'll drag you outside again but this time.....with a tripod and a cable release (easier to work with gloves on)! I work outside usually.......so cold means nothing to me (although 20 -30 below might change a few things).....not sure the Floridians....yes Robert, you are a Floridian now......would handle that. When I go down to Fla. in Dec........I'm always putting the thermostat down to 68 degrees.......as my brother in law keeps the house at 80. I'm sweating....he's got a down parka on. I digress.........
Nice moody shot and well done for the conditions,
Roman

Gus Cobos
04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Great capture Grady,
Shows the mood and tells the story; agree on the clock rotation..
Good job, keep them coming...:D

Stephen Stephen
04-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Grady I can feel the cold in this image. It's a little tight in the frame for my taste but I like the perspective that you've chosen.

Gayle Clement
04-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Terrific mood, Grady. This looks really cold. I agree with the slight rotation.

Harold Davis
04-15-2008, 04:59 PM
it does look cold!!! i would love to see more of the landscape around it. it looks a little big in the frame to me. but you sure captured the mood!!

Robert Amoruso
04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Grady,

I think this lighthouse is a great subject and I like the look of the image but I don't think I like the FG rock blocking it so much. If I was there, I would have moved right and placed the rock in the FG left and the building in the BG right and balanced the two - but that's me.

Roman,

I was born and raised in New England and spent a bunch of time in the White Mountains when they were white (i.e., winter and snow covered). Have been to Alaska in the winter and go to NM in November and December when it is cold. When I lived in TX did plenty of winter travel in the SW. Have all my cold weather gear. May be in FL now but ready for the cold any old time. :) And I have my home cold all the time including winter. No 80 degrees for me indoors. TOO HOT.

Bob Ettinger
04-16-2008, 10:08 AM
You achieved your goal, I was shivering just looking. Maybe the answer to the cold is to follow Robert and go south :D