PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Hyaena at kill

Andreas Liedmann
05-01-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/201464/s6e02829E2QH.jpg

Picture was taken under bad lightning conditions in Etosha NP just out of Namoutoni Camp in june 2011.Have a look at the funny looking ear,i think this animal just had a fight.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
EF 500 IS L + 1,4TC
Windowbracket
F 10 / 1/1600 sec / ISO 2000

Processed in RPP +PS CS5

C&C most welcome ,have fun watching this most people say ugly animal!!!!
Cheers Andreas:eek3:

Dumay de Boulle
05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Great sighting and good pose from the Hyena. Very washed out color wise and the shadow recovery has brought out a lot of noise. Maybe a rework with more contrast and less recovery...Curious as to why the ISO 2000?

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Hi Andreas, your position looks good and I like the position of the kill & the alert Hyena.

I agree with Dumay about being washed out and the noise issue, was the image under exposed? Certainly dropping the exposure quickly addresses the washed out look, but then the subject is lost in the darkness. I see this was shot just after 9.00am, so the light should have been good, was it not? The ISO was in fact 2500 so shooting wider ie f/4 or 5.6 would have helped SS & reduced your ISO. Again, like Dumay curious about the ISO and why f/10, was this from a previous shot? Any additional information would be grateful.

TFS
Steve

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Andreas I just looked, is this a big crop as Subject distance was 143m? If it is, then a little more room all round would help I think.

Andreas Liedmann
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/201698/s6e02822kopieOIJTU.jpg

Hello Hello

this is my attempt to make this first post forgotten, i think i did it very quickly ,not to say too quickly!!! Sorry about that.

to Steve and Dumay i like to ask to forgive me about the really weird camera settings,i was almost out of the park to head to the airport ,and then i heard about that hyaena right next to Namoutoni.So i raced back,and was fighting with other cars for somehow good view point.That hyaena was very nervous and was running to the carcass and away. In the end i got mixed up with hyaena and camera settings.next time i will try better,but for sure it will hit me again.sooner or later.:Whoa!:

It is almost FF,just cut off a bit on RHS and top. C-raw show me 45,5 m distance to subject.

Cheers Andreas

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi Andreas that looks much better, but as I am away, I cannot be too specific on colour, but perhaps Dumay can give a better feedback and appraisal.

We have all been there, fighting vehicles, racing to get that shot, silly settings, but we then learn from that, so it's a valuable learning curve.

Interesting about Subject distance, this is from the data within the posted image??????

Well done for the reposted and thanks for the additional explanation.

Steve

Gerald Kelberg
05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
143 feet = 43.5 meters - maybe there is some confusion about the units.

Like the re-post. Too easy to get your settings all haywire in the excitement, eh!

Best wishes, Gerald

Steve Kaluski
05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
143 feet = 43.5 meters - maybe there is some confusion about the units.

Interesting point Gerald, not sure how that might come about as the data is direct from the file info, all very confusing. :Whoa!: