PDA

View Full Version : Andean Flamingo

Arthur Grosset
01-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Photographed at Laguna Chaxa, Chile in very intense sunshine on salt flats.

20D 400mm f/4.0 DO IS lens: at f/5.6 1/1000 ISO 100 hand-held

I have cropped it slightly to move the birds to the left of the frame. I also reduced the contrast and increased the vibrance which restored a bit of the colour at the bill especially.

Maxis Gamez
01-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Hello Arthur and welcome.

I like the wings positions for both, I wish the light was not as harsh and the second Flamingo was sharp as well. Increasing your aperture to f/8 would of handle that. Big birds like these guys I don't use nothing less than f/8. I want to make sure the bird is in focus.

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Welcome Arthur. Very nice flight to get two flamingos flying together and well placed in the frame but I agree with Maxis that a larger aperture would help in this situation for better sharpness of both birds. Thanks for sharing.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-05-2008, 08:11 AM
I like the composition and colors. I also wish for a wider DOF and would increase the contrast slightly.

Jim Neiger
01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Cool image, Arthur! It's great that you got the two flying together with some seperation between them. I lik ethe comp and wing positions, but the light is a bit harsh and it appears slightly overexposed. Closing down a bit would have added DOF and may have produced two sharp birds. Bumping up your ISO would have allowed a fast shutter speed and a smaller aperture.

Glenn Bartley
01-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Its a very fine image as posted. But I agree that a little more DOF would take this image up a notch.

Jody Melanson
01-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Arthur and welcome to BPN! I second Maxis' comments.