PDA

View Full Version : Dental Work Required?

Ken Watkins
04-30-2012, 08:35 AM
A fairly young male Lion waking up in Addo Elephant National Park 14th April 2012

EOS 1D MkIII

70-200 at 155

F2.8, ISO400, 1/2000

Harshad Barve
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
One lovely pose Ken , little tight on bottom but definitely not a deal breaker
Though I don't like to tweak posted image and neither I am good at it but could see some color cast here , so the re-post

Ken Watkins
04-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Harshad,

I expected a comment on the colour cast, it became this way when converted to JPEG. It was quite a dull day reducing the magenta unfortunately increase the green a little too much

Morkel Erasmus
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Seems like you were lucky with the Addo lions, Ken. I've only seen them once in bad light and thick spekboom foliage :w3
I understand they have also now moved to the more 'open' southern section, at least some of them?

I also noticed the magenta, but unfortunately Harshad's is pushed too much to yellow/green IMHO.
How's this one?? Color Balance - 2 or 3 points towards green from magenta, 2 points towards cyan from red, 2 points towards yellow from blue for all tones.

Tom Graham
04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Of all posts/re-posts, Morkel's color looks best to me. Nice to know that at least two monitors are in agreement here BPN :S3: .
My best suggestion if you're wondering how an image is going to look here, or on internet, with browser X, is to put it up some other site first (pbase, smugmug, etc) and look at it from there. Because I see differences between my Photoshop, my PC jpg viewer (Irfanview) and my internet browser (Firefox). Not huge differences, but differences.

And of course looking forward to more shots from your recent safari Ken.
Tom

Steve Canuel
05-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Nice view down that open mouth and I like how he's laying in the frame. Morkel's color looks spot on to my eye (disclaimer: never been to Africa)

Ken Watkins
05-01-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the comments everybody, I agree that Morkel's re-post has considerably more realistic colour.

Morkel,
We only saw Lions in the southern area (no females), lots of open space in the south but also seemingly endless dense bush, inhabited only by Warthog:w3

Tom,
More to follow if I can stop my computer crashing every hour:2eyes2:

Robert Amoruso
05-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Open mouth a nice plus Ken. Agree that a bit more room on the bottom would have been good and doable with the short zoom you were using.

Morkel's report gets the color right.

Rachel Hollander
05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Ken - Nice open mouth pose and bit of habitat. Looks like he's missing one tooth. I agree that Morkel's color is best and that a little more room below would be good.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
05-01-2012, 08:07 AM
Rachel and Robert,

The room below was unfortunately a rather grim looking road, and as you probably know I am not a great fan of man-made objects in my images:w3