PDA

View Full Version : Hero or Crazy bird?

Kenn Christensen
04-14-2008, 11:40 PM
A Male Redwinged blackbird defends his territory against a passing immature bald eagle.
Taken this morning on a marsh near where I live. I was trying to get a shot of ducks on the water when this happened.. Im just not nimbled minded enough to switch IS to panning mode.. Im sure it hurt slightly.. also.. the ISO was set for the darker surface and BG of the marsh... oh well.. if only I knew what was coming!.. Id have baked a cake...
canon 1D mk III
500mm F4, w 1.4 TC
F5.6
1/8000
ISO 1000

Maxis Gamez
04-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi Kenn,

This looks like a heavy crop. There is a decent amout of image degradation and a lot of noise. I wish the Eagle was facing and the RW Black bird have a lot of noise as well.

Did you underexpose the image and try to lighten it up?

Axel Hildebrandt
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Great capture but the underexposure caused some noise. I also wish for more head turn in case of the eagle.

Robert Amoruso
04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Great reflexes to get on this quickly enough and the framing is good with the RWBB separated from the Eagle. I have to agree with Axle on this one, the lack of a head-turn and the noise due to under-exposure hurt the image.

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-15-2008, 10:45 AM
To me just getting an image like this is a lot, forget about the rest, is great. and you are lucky, next time donīt forget to bake the cake!!!

Arthur Morris
04-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Wonderful timing on the capture. Was the excessive noise caused by significant underexposure? Wish for a better wing position for the blackbird...

Kenn Christensen
04-15-2008, 11:14 PM
you know.. it really wasnt underexposed... Im not sure where the noise came from.. it wasnt heavily cropped either... probably 2/3.. (or IS that heavy?).... but yeah. oh well... I guess better luck next time.. another case of close but no cigar.. and yeah.. I wish that RWB had positioned himself better.. I do have a couple of other shots of this... but in one of these you cant see the RWBs wings at all.. in the other you cant see any red... but the wing position is better.. but then he is farther out too.. geeeeee why does it always have to be soooo hard?