PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe sundowner

Andreas Liedmann
04-29-2012, 03:28 AM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/200676/sharpenedversion2TWJB.jpg

Hello i am back again with a giraffe found at a beautiful sunset in Etosha in June 2011.

Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV / EF 500 L IS / Beanbag

FF / f9 /1/2000 sec/ ISO 2000

processed in Canon DPP + PS CS5

C&C most welcome

Andreas

Steve Kaluski
04-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Andreas, I like this a lot, very striking and a bold image. Comp works, likewise the strong colours depicting the horizon. As there is appears to be some detail I would if it worth just opening up a very small fraction , rather than going for an almost sold colour, WDYT? As all this kind of shots backlit tend to look all the same?

Not sure if it's an optical illusion, or is there a slight halo along the bridge of the nose and lower half of the body?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Nicely done silhouette and the sunset color is great. I'm not sure that in this case the rather harsh horizon line adds anything so I would consider a crop from the bottom as an alternative.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
04-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Hi Steve
i think it is a slight sharpening halo,caused by sloppy sharpening!!! What means WDYT ??? (sorry again that i do not get the shortcuts)
Thanks for critique!

Cheers Andreas

Steve Canuel
04-29-2012, 01:44 PM
A nice sharp silhouette and good choice of comp. I like the horizon but find the red halo a little strong. Rachel's suggestion also works.

WDYT = What do you think?

There's a thread somewhere on the site with a list of abbreviations and their meanings but I could not find it.

Andreas Liedmann
04-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys
for explanation.I like everything on this image.the halo even shows up in Canon DPP using daylight for WB und Standard in picture style.then 1 round of levels and 1 round of web sharpening nothing else.
the result is the shown image.
PS: may be the red halo is also caused by the heat over the horizon,or so !!!??
thanx for watching
cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Very striking silhouette, Andreas!
I quite like the horizon included - it gives the image some grounding (at least for me).
Not sure what causes the halo if it's there in the RAW file, might be the play of the light. It's very slight to my eyes in any case.
:cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
04-29-2012, 04:07 PM
http://www.bilderload.com/bild/200911/s6e9202VKBBP.jpg

Hello folks
for all the guys who are thinking about the halo (red one)

this is straight out of canon DPP with neutral picture style no correction applied at all: straight out of cam

see yourself Cheers Andreas