PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fighting

Steve Adkins
04-29-2012, 01:11 AM
Small fire at an abandoned farmstead 1/2 mile from my place this evening. I heard the aircraft and the smoke was blowing my way, so I drove over to get a good look. :eek3:
Perfect conditions around here for grass fires and a rural church was within 100 yards. The fire service did a great job of containing the blaze.
I took a pictures as they filled the bag at a nearby pond and then swung over the fire to dump the water. Very efficient operation.
Nikon D700 w/70-200 @ 200mm.

This sequence of a single run was put together in CS6 using auto-aline and auto-blend images. (plus some work on the layer masks)

Christopher Miller
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow! That must have been cool to watch. Conditions have been perfect for brush fires here in MA too, what with the almost snowless winter we had.

Maureen Allen
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
This must have been quite something to watch. Very cool image, Steve!

Steve Adkins
04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I went over and took a closer look today after school. The fire had made it half way through a 5 acre woods and was just 50 yards from a larger grassy area that would have led to my woods. These guys did an amazing job of containing this fire on a very windy evening! I was told they had been at another fire just 10 miles away a couple hours earlier. Busy day! Yes, Christopher, we also had a dry winter and are hoping Spring rains will help us out.

Marina Scarr
05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
What an awesome picture, Steve. This should have been on the front page of the paper.