PDA

View Full Version : The Tornado, Monument Valley

Jay Gould
04-28-2012, 08:50 AM
This is TS-E #2. Jack Graham and I were out "working an area" and experimenting with the TS-E. Wanted to use it on a shorter subject distance; Jack found The Tornado amongst the rocks. This is a three image stitch. An interesting use of this lens is that you shift instead of rotating to enlarge the scene. The result of a shift is that the stitch lines up perfectly because the sensor plane does not change in relation to the scene as it does when you rotate (unless you have a pano head). I purposely included the large bush in the foreground to soften all of the rocks and to give The Tornado an interesting base. I sharpened and saved this image several time to try and present a sharpened jpeg - no joy! To reduce to 250kb; Quality 25. Camera: 5D3 Capture date/time: 23 Apr 2012; 0713 Light condition: sunrise Lens: Canon TS-E 24mm Distance 3.4m ISO: 50 Exp Prog: Manual Speed: 1/5 sec Aperture: f/8 Exp Comp: none Metering: Evaluative AEB Comp/HDR: No Shift: Yes - 3 images WB: Auto AF Drive: Continuous Tripod: yes Filter: None Crop: full frame Images Changes: Lots of stuff I didn't like removed! Processed in LR4, CS5, Nik, Blowup All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Jay Gould
04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
My brother Steve Gould, for whom I have great respect as a Professional Photographer (http://www.stevegouldphotography.com/) has suggested an alternative crop; which do you prefer and why?

Don Railton
04-29-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm with Steve here Jay. That bush in the foreground I dont like at all as it distracts my eye too much, sort of looks oversharpened as well although I am not sure that it is... His crop reduces the impact of this and puts it back with the beautiful rocks, which is what I think you wanted... Just my two cents worth. But the rocks rock... Did you consider sitting on the bush and taking a photo of the rock 'Tornado' down low/up close so it mostly filled the frame?

Don

Jay Gould
04-29-2012, 06:56 AM
I'm with Steve here Jay. That bush in the foreground I dont like at all as it distracts my eye too much, sort of looks oversharpened as well although I am not sure that it is... His crop reduces the impact of this and puts it back with the beautiful rocks, which is what I think you wanted... Just my two cents worth. But the rocks rock... Did you consider sitting on the bush and taking a photo of the rock 'Tornado' down low/up close so it mostly filled the frame?

Don

Thanks Don; no, I didn't consider damaging the bush because that is what would have happened! I may not hesitate to remove from my photos; but not in real life.

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2012, 08:57 AM
Jay - I also agree with Steve. Unfortunately, I also agree with Don about the bushes in the fg, they draw my eye due to their brightness and sharpening. Looking forward to seeing more as you experiment with your new lens.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Jay,

I like the second crop best. The bushes do look over sharpened. I am assuming you bought the new 24mm TS-E lens?

As you noted, sitting/damaging the bush in an effort to obtain an image is a big no-no.

Jay Gould
04-30-2012, 07:29 AM
Jay,

I like the second crop best. The bushes do look over sharpened. I am assuming you bought the new 24mm TS-E lens?

As you noted, sitting/damaging the bush in an effort to obtain an image is a big no-no.

Yes, I did buy the new TS-E.

Right on; I will not sit on a bush - I will replace a sky :Whoa!: !!

In fact, we have been shooting in Arizona with Boring Blue Cloudless Skies; the images I will be posting will not have Boring Blue Cloudless Skies. :tinysmile_shy_t:

BTW, where would a landscape with a replaced sky be posted? Thanks,

Don Railton
04-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Sorry guys, but I have to say the reference to sitting on the bush was nothing more than a (very poor) joke designed to indicate an alternative position from where to take an image rather than an intent to damage the bush. Long live the bush...! but just not in this image IMHO....

DON

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Sorry guys, but I have to say the reference to sitting on the bush was nothing more than a (very poor) joke designed to indicate an alternative position from where to take an image rather than an intent to damage the bush. Long live the bush...! but just not in this image IMHO....

DON

Don,

Thanks and sorry for the misunderstanding. You would be surprised at some of the things I have seen people do.

Sorry if I offended you.

Don Railton
04-30-2012, 07:12 PM
None taken Robert...! just wanted to clear any misunderstanding. I once took a cruise, we stopped and visited a pristine Coral reef. People were asked not to walk on the reef but they did anyway. I was snorkelling and the damage I could see happening almost brought me to tears, then when you shout at them they look at you as if you are mad...

Morkel Erasmus
05-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Missed this one. 2nd comp is definitely better, Jay. Lovely tones and rock textures. You knew it was coming...how about a B&W??? :t3

Jay Gould
05-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Missed this one. 2nd comp is definitely better, Jay. Lovely tones and rock textures. You knew it was coming...how about a B&W??? :t3

Thanks for catching up! Your opinion always appreciated. For you, I will give it a shot a BW; haven't done one before.

I am a saturated color kinda guy! :Whoa!: