PDA

View Full Version : In to the storm

peter delaney
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I was not too certain which forum to post this image.. decided here!:S3:

Image taken from patio of my home. A storm was approaching over the Indian ocean as the sacred ibis were heading home to roost. I decided to use b&w to create an ominous mood...

Leica M8.2 tri-elmar lens set at 50mm 1/500 f5.6 iso 160, hand held as it was a grab shot..

Dennis Bishop
04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure where this belongs, but I'm glad I found it. I like the composition and the fact that you were able to catch the ibis against the light background. Ordinarily, I'd wish for a bit more detail in the shadows, but this image is so dramatic that it fits alright without the detail. Great range of tones in the clouds.

Jerry van Dijk
04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Peter, very nice mood and a very special image! Compositionwise I might be inclined to crop either from the bottom (just above the two bright spots), or from the right to reduce the empty black area. My preference is for the last, because I really like those structures in the clouds.

Jay Gould
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Peter, very cool capture!! How often we see the image; how smart of you to preserve the moment.

Morkel Erasmus
04-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Lovely drama and tonal range as per usual, Peter...the flock was in the perfect spot here...
Could work well in OOTB too - want me to copy it there as well? :S3:

Vivaldo Damilano
04-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Very dramatic and love the flying birds. Special capture Peter.

Rachel Hollander
04-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Peter - well seen and nice that you had the presence of mind to capture it. Flock placement and tonal range make the image for me.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
04-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Lovely drama and tonal range as per usual, Peter...the flock was in the perfect spot here...
Could work well in OOTB too - want me to copy it there as well? :S3:

I agree with Morkel in his first sentence, but this is not OOTB as that forum's description is related to digital manipulation over and above normal processing. :tinysmile_shy_t:

This is also the correct forum Peter. The birds are an accent in this dramatic image and not the center of interest.

peter delaney
05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Thank you all for your lovely comments... It's really nice to get positive feedback when you do something a bit different to the norm...

Big thanks one and all :S3:

Andrew Aveley
05-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Bit late to this one but great creative image with typical uniqueness you strive for. Great BW processing.