PDA

View Full Version : Crested Caracara in High Key

Doug Brown
04-26-2012, 07:36 AM
My best look at a Caracara during my recent Florida trip with Jim Neiger came when we found a bird sitting on a tree trunk against a high key BG. I'm not usually a big fan of high key BGs, but I took a series of frames as the bird flew from its perch. It's a different take on Caracaras, but I think it works. What do you think? Also, does anyone have an idea of what the prey item might be?

Canon 5D Mark III, 500mm + 1.4x, f/7.1, 1/1250, ISO 1250, manual exposure, hand held<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">

Karl Egressy
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Nice flight image, Doug. Actually I'm one of the rare people who do like high key images.
Anyway, I thinks if the bird comes out a bit darker, it'll give you more separation.
I applied linear burn for the whole body and then a little more to the rump area.
I hope you don't mind my messing with your image. Of course different people, different taste as always.

Kaustubh Deshpande
04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Doug, looks great...esp. with the VB4 Black style. you got it at the perfect flight angle. prey always a bonus...details, exp...everything looks good to me.

Richard Unsworth
04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Super shot Doug positioning is just perfect.
Im thinking prey is some kind of large larva?
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

dankearl
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
i think the wing position and angle in the frame is really good.
I am not a real fan of high key for BIF photos, I think it works better for shorebirds, etc., but this is nice.
I think Karl's repost is good.

Jim Crosswell
04-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I like the flight angle, wing position, sharpness and prey. Excellent image Doug!

Doug Brown
04-26-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice rework Karl. Maybe a little less opacity, but I like the direction you took with the image.

adrian dancy
04-26-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm fine with this as high key. No issue with high key anyway. I would attempt to bring out a bit more detail (if possible) in the upper tail area where it merges with the background to give the bird a better defined line.

Arthur Morris
04-26-2012, 08:04 PM
I love, love, love white skies for flight and I like this one a ton, especially the killer wing position. I like Karl's repost but agree that it is overdone just a bit. Something between the two would rock. No clue on the prey item....

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I like high key images as well and this one works. Like the wing position and the prey

Jonathan Ashton
04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Sorry Doug this one doesn't float my boat.:S3:I can't offer a very eloquent description but to me it looks just a tad washed out. I am sure if everything was brought down a peg or two it would look great.

Doug Brown
04-27-2012, 05:28 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Thanks for the honest feedback everyone!

Robert Holguin
04-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Wonderful shot. I just love the high key here. Excellent flight pose ana well composed.
Well done.

Paul Lagasi
04-28-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Doug, I like high key images and of course the bird...very nice work, agree with above about a minor color tweek adjustment, it might be fun to ship it over to OOTB and see what thye have to say.

Your handhold techniques are #1...to capture this bird, and god knows I've tried.

With any luck, I'll be down your way next April to shoot Lesser Prairie Chickens, near Milnisand, I am giving lots of notice this time :bg3:

Troy Lim
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Killer wing position Doug. :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
04-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Repost is a an improvement but just a tad less. Is the pray a caterpillar? Very nice HK.

Greg Basco
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
Doug, I think this works very well. When I do high-key, I think it looks nice to have some areas edging into blown out as it gives a lighter feel inline with this kind of image. So, your OP works great for me.

Cheers,
Greg