PDA

View Full Version : Which Feisol legs to get?

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi friends. I am wanting to get a new set of legs. Mine have seen better days. I am looking at Feisol and wonder if any of you who do Bird photography with a heavy prime lens can recommend a set for my gymbasl head. Under 400.00 if possible I want NO center column
Thanks much

David Pugsley
04-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been using the 3372 legs for a couple of years now. They are complimented by a RRS BH-55 head and a Wimberley Sidekick. The rig supports a 1D MkIII and 500 f/4 w/ 1.4x with no problems. Given the abuse I put the legs through they do have some sand even with regular cleanings. This, combined with all the saltwater, is making the legs a bit stiff when extending. I don't know if you'd see this issue with other brands or not. Overall I've been happy with them.

BTW, congrats on the recent contest victories!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks much David

Don Lacy
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Cheryl I looked into Feisol when I broke one of the legs on my Gitzo and was planning on buying 3722 as its feature most closely matched my Gitzo in the end I repaired the leg on my Gitzo myself. My friend uses a Feisol and he has not had a problem with it were i have now repaired another leg on my gitzo with the same malfunction caused by corrosion.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
04-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks Don and I have heard the same. Save money and get a better tripod... Go figure:e3 Thanks

Don Lacy
04-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks Don and I have heard the same. Save money and get a better tripod... Go figure:e3 Thanks
My Gitzo lasted 5 years before corrosion from shooting in saltwater effected it and I broke it down and cleaned it after each use. If we are only going to get about 5 years of use out of a tripod do to saltwater corrosion it really does not make sense to spend the extra money on the Gitzo now the newer RRS tripods might be a different story since they are better made and made with better material then Gitzo.

Linwood Ferguson
05-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I bought the CT-3371 5 years ago, and am very happy with it. It looks and acts like new, never a problem, and it is rock solid.

The 3372 looks a bit lighter, 5cm shorter, the biggest difference appears to be about a pound heavier weight and a lot of money.

It does not get daily use, but it gets use in the mud and sand and salt of Florida. So far not a hint of corrosion or problems. I do NOT have the center column, I don't like them, and at 6' tall I have never found it too short even for shooting new vertical.

I really like the feet that came with it at the time -- big rubber screw-on feet that have long stainless spikes inside. Don't know if they ship by default still or not. Also, the legs do rotate (i.e. aren't keyed to make tightening easier); not a big deal, not sure if they changed it, I thought I heard they did.

No issues at all, very happy.

I will say I bought a Feisol CB-50H at the same time and hated it. Could not find a smooth setting, tried various cleaning and oils, nothing worked. I bought a Markin's M-20 and loved it, no comparison at all. Not sure if they improved (remember -- 2007).