PDA

View Full Version : Menacing Spring Coyote

dankearl
04-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Well as menacing as they get.
Used Steve's suggestion on the color balance.
This is a Huge Crop. If you have a 36 mp sensor you might as well use it.
10% of the original.

1/1250
f6.3
iso800
500mm (300F2.8 W/ 1.7x)
Nikon D800

DSC_0065bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112078&stc=1&d=1335316805)

William Giokas
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Great shot . The Nikon 800 is an awesome camera. Bill

Harshad Barve
04-25-2012, 01:38 AM
Great image indeed
TFS

Vivaldo Damilano
04-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Dan lovely image, I would love to be able to crop like you have and still get lot's of detail. I would however leave a little more room at the bottom TFS:cheers:

Marc Mol
04-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Plenty of detail still left Dan for a large crop, how are you finding the 800 for AF speed? Agree with Viv on some lower room.
TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Hi Dan, I like the 'skulking/devilish' look as it gives character to the image.

Re Colour, I still think there is a certain amount of yellow and perhaps more blue coming through, however I think that might be Nikon, as Canon is quite often more warmer. Agree, if you have it some more room below. looks like a very co operative Coyote.

Re Colour, I think if you drop the Yellow & Blue channels in Saturation, then Yellow & Cyan in the Whites and the Cyan in the Neutral it does make a difference, but still retaining the punchy greens of the grass. This might be easily corrected more within the RAW process, where you have a far greater control unlike working with limited colour space of a web file. :S3:

Just my thoughts, however perhaps Mac & Morkel might chime in on this coming from a Nikon BKG.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Dan - I like the comp but agree about it being a bit tight below. I'm going to be in the minority and say that I think the IQ has suffered slightly from the extreme crop, certainly not as much as it would with other cameras, but I think you can see the degradation in the fur.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
04-25-2012, 06:18 AM
I'm going to be in the minority and say that I think the IQ has suffered slightly from the extreme crop, certainly not as much as it would with other cameras, but I think you can see the degradation in the fur.

TFS,
Rachel

Have to disagree Rachel, given the fact that we're talking about an image that has been cropped by 90% :Whoa!:, I feel the quality/detail holds up extremely well. I'm basing this purely on the very large crop.

Just my thoughts, however perhaps Mac & Morkel might chime in on this coming from a Nikon BKG.

TFS
Steve

I see a very small amount of blue in the whites (on my cal monitor) here Steve and yes it's a Nikon trait. A slight warmth adjustment in RAW WB would be something to look at.

dankearl
04-25-2012, 09:38 AM
Rachel, I agree on the IQ, It is cropped more than I ever have or really would do again I think.
I actually see the IQ drop more in the eye than the fur. The fur just looks a bit crisped.
Steve, I do think it is a Nikon color thing, but I am just using the auto WB and may try some other settings
to see how they look.

Morkel Erasmus
04-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Rachel, I agree on the IQ, It is cropped more than I ever have or really would do again I think.
I actually see the IQ drop more in the eye than the fur. The fur just looks a bit crisped.
Steve, I do think it is a Nikon color thing, but I am just using the auto WB and may try some other settings
to see how they look.

I am impressed by how the crop held up...but do agree that there is some IQ loss compared to your previous post of this guy. :S3:
Dan, since switching to Nikon I have stayed away from Auto WB. I almost always shoot on "daylight" and might warm it up or cool it down in processing depending on the look I am going for, but most times the "daylight" settings looks most natural to me.

Tom Graham
04-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Agree with Steve on color balance as I see on my monitor.
As to whether the camera RAW file is processed too blue or too green or too red, seems to me to be a lot dependent on the RAW processor you're using. Needs tweaking to "taste".
Tom

Steve Canuel
04-29-2012, 01:55 PM
A little "crinkly" but nice detail and color. Looks like that kind of ability to crop can really open up some opportunities for you.