PDA

View Full Version : Lilly

Cynthia Thayer
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm eager for your input on this one. Are the post processing effects too much?

Steve Maxson
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Hi Cynthia and welcome to the Macro forum! Please remember to include your shooting specs - and because you are asking about post processing, it would be helpful in our critiques if you could tell us what you did with the image. You can include this info in a Quick Reply. :S3:

Cynthia Thayer
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks Steve. Sorry about that. Here is the shooting data. Also, what I did in post was, and what I want to know about is the diffusion effect I added using Topaz lens effects. I selectively added and subtracted the effect to give it a softer feel, but yet, leave sharpness where I thought it was important.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7179/7100834779_76936f9505_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmthayer_photography/7100834779/in/photostream/)

<tbody>
Camera
Nikon D300 (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d300/)

Exposure
0.008 sec (1/125)

Aperture
f/16.0

Focal Length
500 mm

ISO Speed

Exposure Bias
0 EV

Flash
On, Return detected

Orientation
Horizontal (normal)

X-Resolution
150 dpi

Y-Resolution
150 dpi

Software
Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows

Date and Time (Modified)
2012:04:21 20:18:15

Copyright
CM THAYER

Exposure Program
Aperture-priority AE

</tbody>

Dennis Bishop
04-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I like the diagonals, curves, and colors you have working, here. And I like the selective diffusion. I'd have added a bit more post processing, however -- a curves layer to brighten the midtones and shadows a bit but leave the lighter tones where they are. Enough to lighten the grays on the lily but still leave enough to show shadows and texture.

Steve Maxson
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi Cynthia. Thanks for adding the info. Dennis has given you a good suggestion above. To my eye, the selective diffusion appears subtle and not over done. The colors seem a bit muted to me, but that's OK if that's the look you were going for. If this was mine, I'd be tempted to clone a lot of the tiny dark specks on the blossom. Overall, this is very nicely done and I hope to see more of your work here in Macro.

Marina Scarr
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Very nice image and I personally like the muted colors. I like the leading line which really adds a lot to the composition. I do find the little specks a bit distracting but think it would be easier to start over with a clean flower than cleaning this one up after the fact.

jack williamson
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Sharpness and softness are balanced quite nicely. I think you should back off the diffusion effect on the long front edge, I think it was a little too much there.

Jack

Bob Miller
04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi Cythia....This is a unique and unusual composition that I like. I agree that the front edge should be sharper if possible but otherwise the diffusion was handled nicely! I also like the touch of green in the bg!....Nice Work!

Julie Kenward
04-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I think Jack nailed it...that diffusion filter almost always leaves that overexposed mark on whites and its done so here on that long front edge of the petal. I'd either back it off or tone it down a bit in that one spot.

Nice diagonal composition but I have to add that I'm not a big fan of the sideways or upside down flower tilts...I think this would be even stronger if it were presented as a vertical image instead of horizontal.

Anita Bower
04-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I like the composition, the strong diagonal, the lovely curves and the detailed yellow center. Nice concept. I'd brighten it up a bit, and would definitely clone out the dirt. I sometimes use a small brush to clean my flowers before photographing.