PDA

View Full Version : Whos on the menu?

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2012, 04:40 AM
This is one of the young cubs from the Duba pride. The pride has been split into two camps, the younger ones (about 8), compared to the four more mature ones, proving an issue when hunting, as neither pride can kill as often as they require due to lack of either numbers, or skill set, as they thrive primarily on the massive mobile kitchen, the buffalo.

Just love the expression of the cub, hence the tight crop to emphasis the direct look into camera, licking his lips and the rasping barbs of the tongue. The clipped paw is not an issue, nor the vegetation as it was all deliberate.

I am waiting for Brendon's return, as I need confirmation as to wether this is the cub that was found dead or not - life is tough out in the bush.

Steve
Subject: Lion cub lying in shadow, licking it's lips (Panthera leo)
Camera: Canon MKIIV
Lens: 500f/4 - HH
Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO400 0 stop compensation
Crop: Slight crop for presentation (original capture vertical)
Subject distance: 13.5m

Rachel Hollander
04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Steve - great expression and stare captured. I understand that it was delibrate but I do wish the paw wasn't clipped. What about a slight drop in the yellows?

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
04-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey Steve, lovely expression and vegetation. LHS paw is a nit for me, would have prefered seeing the full paw. TFS :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
04-24-2012, 12:23 PM
Hi Steve
good expression of an intense look right in the eye!! I like the way you handled the ,i think more or less , harsh light conditions.But was it not possible to recover some HL details.if not ?? you should try RPP,as mentioned in an earlier post by me.
Cheers Andreas

Morkel Erasmus
04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
love the expression here with the tongue out, Steve
might burn some of the brightest leaves on the shrub?

good to see you posting something taken in not-so-golden light too :w3, I was thinking you put your camera away at 07h30 every morning by all your "golden hour" images you post haha :bg3:

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks guys.

Interesting Morkel, on the print & monitors those few leaves have detail & tone, but on the laptop I can see what you & Andreas are referring to.

I was thinking you put your camera away at 07h30 every morning
You would be surprised in what light I shoot in as I do not always have the lovely light you guys have out there in SA. :bg3: This was shot close to 11.00am hence the harsh light, something I try to avoid for obvious reasons, but hey... actually it goes back into it's original box and packaging after a buff up, ready for the following day. :bg3:

dankearl
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM
Great close-up and the info you give is really interesting for us armchair African wildlife watchers.
I think the light is what it is, I would never pass up a shot like this!

Tom Graham
04-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Super shot, stare and tongue take it up a notch from usual portrait. Highlight clipped little leaf or two no issue for me because lion is perfect.
Of course I'd try some Velvia action on it :w3

Tom

Steve Kaluski
04-25-2012, 01:23 AM
Of course I'd try some Velvia action on it

I'll breakout the dark glasses :bg3:

Ken Watkins
04-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I do not understand why you would choose to deliberately clip what to me is an essential part of the image. Judging by the eye colour and the lack of spots this looks a little old to be described as a cub.