PDA

View Full Version : Easter Lily

Joel Eade
04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
This my first post in this forum. I recently acquired a nice used Canon 180mm macro and gave it a try this weekend. I set up two flashes on either side and triggered them with pocket wizards. The flash on the right was set to 1/8 power and was used directly, the one on the left was set to 1/8 power but was bounced off a white umbrella. The background is a blue cloth. The photo was shot in RAW then converted in ACR and processed with CS5. I bicolor filter was used in Nik Color Efex Pro.

1d MKIV
180mm f/3.5L + 25mm extension tube
Tripod + Cable release
Manual mode, manual focus
Evaluative metering
ISO 1000
f/25
1/160

Dennis Bishop
04-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I like the lighting, the depth of field, and your choice of how much of the flower to include. However, the intensity of the blue background -- especially with the white and orange against it -- seems too great. I toned the blue down a bit and added a radial gradient. I also cropped a bit from the left and added some canvas to the top for reasons of composition (where the divine proportion lines fall with respect to the elements in the image).

Steve Maxson
04-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Hi Joel. Good to see you here in Macro and congrats on the new lens! I like the lighting effect you produced with the two flashes and the water droplets add interest, though I agree with Dennis that the intense blue of the background is drawing my eye away from the flower. For my tastes, I prefer the more subtle blue that Dennis created in his repost. Since you were using an artificial background you should be able to experiment with a variety of colors in future efforts. :S3: I hope to see more of your macro work!

Joel Eade
04-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the critiques....I am totally new to macro so I appreciate the help and i like the repost.

I did shoot this with a black BG as well but for some reason I really liked the bright blue in contrast with orange/brown parts of the flower...but then again I usually like stuff that's weird, anyway thanks again and i will continue up the learning curve:S3:

Marina Scarr
04-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I really like Dennis' repost. The colors seem to blend much better to my eyes.

jack williamson
04-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I like the comp and the lighting, I prefer the desaturated BG.

Jack

Julie Kenward
04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Joel, I can definitely see where the intense blue in the OP would work for a poster but for a print I'd also have to go with Dennis' version. That said, comp-wise, I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the flower base. I realize the stamen are the "star" here but it feels cut off in proportion. A bit more of the base of the flower in the image might have balanced it a bit more for me. Nice DOF though and good use of flash!

Ken Childs
04-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Hi Joel, I really like the bold blue of the OP but I also like Dennis' revised version. If this were mine, I can see 2 ways I might take this. With the dark blue, I would crop in tighter starting from the bottom of the frame.... maybe as a square.....so the flower tails off out of frame just before the lower left corner. With the lighter BG, I agree with Jules that more flower is needed. Keep those macro photos coming!