PDA

View Full Version : Black and yellow

Neal Cooper
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
This is another image from the series I shot of the female Leopard near the Leeudril 4X4 trail in the Kgalagadi National Park. In the previous image she was on the right side of the light, and here she lay down in the grass near the car, but in more backlight than side light. I like the detail of her fur and the nice morning yellows.

1/800
F/4.0
ISO 400
Canon 1D MKIV
Canon 500mm F/4.0

Morkel Erasmus
04-23-2012, 03:27 PM
I love this series, Neal, and this one has lots of appeal.
Love the look-back pose, the back-light on her and the grasses and overall IQ.

I took a crack at this - let me know what you think. :e3
I selectively darkened the BG by running a luminosity mask over it at 50% opacity and then painting back through the mask to reveal the original leopard.
I also added a hint of contrast to the leopard and added 10 points of saturation overall.

It's good to have you on here. I would encourage you to also give constructive critique (and even suggested reposts) on others' posts, as that's how we all learn and benefit from this community :w3.

Hilary Hann
04-23-2012, 07:13 PM
I love this pose and composition and think that the repost of Morkel's really brings out the leopard beautifully. Very nice tonal range.

Harshad Barve
04-23-2012, 10:07 PM
excellent image and Morkel's re-post took this over the top
TFS

Marc Mol
04-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Love the soft lighting and pose here Neal, Morkel's lumo RP has taken it up a notch.:w3
TFS

Steve Kaluski
04-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Certainly adding some more mid-tone has help give depth to the image, but I feel the colour is somewhere perhaps between the two, as there is quite a bit of red coming through. So perhaps some more tweaking to refine the colours more. Really like the relaxed pose and placement within the image. I think the RP is better crop wise, just tightens things up.

Look forward to your participation on the Forum and postings by others.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
04-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Nice pose and golden light. I think I would prefer somewhere in between the OP and Morkel's repost.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Neal,

Great pose here, I think the OP is just a little too light, Morkel's repost helps but there are many ways to skin a cat:w3

Morkel Erasmus
04-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Neal,

Great pose here, I think the OP is just a little too light, Morkel's repost helps but there are many ways to skin a cat:w3

Thanks Ken...care to elaborate on another way for the interest of everyone here? :c3: